Author Topic: Independance Day  (Read 9398 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Independance Day
« on: July 03, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »
As you may know (and if you don't know, where are you?), today (July 4th) is "Independence Day" in the United States.  Typically celebrated with a lot of parties, bar-b-ques, outings, parades, and fireworks.

It has been a few generations since the United States of America gained it's independence, and as such the general public in the USA may not fully understand anymore what a significant thing it is for any nation to gain independence, to separate from a foreign controlling power, to obtain the ability to governs ones own self, to be able to set the rules and laws as they see fit and not as how others (usually distant) see fit.

Usually a nation strives for independence because they feel unjustly dealt with and/or unfairly controlled and limited by the controlling power.  Throwing off those shackles is a very liberating feeling, and something to be honored and cherished.

In our world today, there remain many peoples who are dominated and controlled unjustly, sometimes by members of their own people.  Great may be the injustices that many suffer in those conditions.  Great may be the longing of these peoples for independence and freedom to choose.  Sadly there are also many who for generations have known a different way of life and have been taught such that they do not understand that the freedoms and independence many enjoy are actually a good and desirable condition, something that all peoples should have the freedom to choose if they desire.  Those are the conditions where people will reject independence and freedom because they have long been comfortable with the injustices that are their lot, blinded to the truths that there is a better way.

It is not my right to try to say what is best for others, and it never will be.  I can only hope that each person may (at the least at some point in time) have the chance to choose the kind of world they wish to live in.

Independence means to not be controlled by an outside power.  Freedom is the option to make your own choice.  Some mistakenly believe that "independence" means no other person can make decisions or guidelines for you, and that "freedom" means free to choose whatever you wish without repercussions.  Such beliefs result only in chaos and destruction.

A rocket motor unleashes tremendous power, and if that power is released without any guides or controls, the only result is a destructive explosion (poof! and it's gone).  By channeling the release of power through and outlet (in a direction) and placing a cone on that outlet thus placing guides and rules upon that release of power, extreme performance can be obtained.  Only then does the rocket reach it's greatest potential.

Let us all be like rockets, unleashing our potential, following the guides and rules that smarter persons than ourselves have laid down.  Thus propelling ourselves (and those with us) to our ultimate greatness.  Unlike rocket motors that cannot think for themselves, let us also be constantly evaluating our surroundings, carefully finding the best rules and guides that give the greatest results.

Remember, the prize stallion will only reach it's greatest potential after it has first been "broken" and is taught to be guided by the stallion's master.

Happy Independence Day, USA!  Those of you who are not in the USA, I hope you are enjoying independence, and if you cannot, I hope it is not far away for your people.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:15:31 AM by TechPro »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Independance Day
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »
... And speaking of rockets... *Wooosh!* *Boom!*

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:41:18 AM »
Some fine writing there, Mr. Tech Pro! But while we are all off being like rockets, let's not be like the guy in NY who blew his arm completely off lighting a rocket.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 07:49:45 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:50:13 AM »
That would be this guy:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iUkZKV0ISye0JeiYPCacwizpX1JgD9GNULT00

ACK!  You added a link  while I added my post. Oh well.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 07:52:03 AM by DarkWing »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 07:58:36 AM »
Even though I know it's not my place: Happy Birthday to America.  And thanks for thinking of other countries while you're celebrating.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:30:47 AM »
Mortars are not something to be stupid around. If you're going to be stupid, use anything BUT mortars. If anyone here has never lit off a mortar.... Those things a LOT of power behind them when they go up in the air. Like a very large bullet.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:20:37 AM »
Technically speaking, I would think that one shouldn't be stupid around anything that has the potential of blowing up, big or small. :P

And Happy Independence Day to all of us that are American! We're all truly blessed that this nation even exists; history makes it pretty clear that it had a lot of things going against it at first. Makes you doubly glad that the US successfully gained it's freedom, and is still free, today. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »
I think that the US has been extremely lucky throughout its history. We started from these small 13 colonies and ended up being the most powerful nation in the world. THANK GOD.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Canceler

• Silver
  • reee!
    • visit my plebsite
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »

happy 4th of July 8)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »
"These are funny lookin firecrackers..."

"O SNAP!"

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 08:54:52 AM »
Fantastic writing here, TechPro, worthy of a quotation or two  ;). What you say is true - independance is truly a quality to be desired of a nation above all else, and we have been blessed tremendously to be one that started off with 13 small colonies (as NumberZERO said) and wind up with one massive federation of 50 states.

And, speaking of rockets, I actually helped a friend work a fireworks stand this year. It was fun. And you'd be quite surprised with how many people can't seem to grasp the concept of "no smoking" around a fireworks stand.  :D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »
Yes, apparently "common sense" isn't as "common" as the name would lead one to believe these days. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
As you may know (and if you don't know, what rock have you been hiding under?),

This one.

I've been trying to get out since 1867, but it's big!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 09:50:34 AM »
That's a big rock.

Once you're out from under it, you should break it up into gravel, then sell the gravel. :)
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »
I'll try, but it's hard to hold a sledgehammer with paws.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets