Author Topic: Your Linux system may have an infection  (Read 7617 times)

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
Re: Your Linux system may have an infection
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 06:59:55 PM »
Well then techpro is just plain confusing.

It wasn't Techpro who revealed that he obviously has no clue what the "d" in "IRCd" stands for and what that implies regarding run-time credentials - that goes on Karx's account with his "run Linux as admin" bosh. It also reveals that he doesn't seem to know that most Linux installations don't even have an "admin" account. Even a beginner's manual tells you this on one of the first pages.

I personally find it simply plain stupid to comment on a subject you don't know *anything* about, which Karx has proved loudly. *That* is something that might confuse everybody else who can't spot on first sight that it's just a pile of rubbish.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »
Well then techpro is just plain confusing.

It wasn't Techpro who revealed that he obviously has no clue what the "d" in "IRCd" stands for and what that implies regarding run-time credentials - that goes on Karx's account with his "run Linux as admin" bosh. It also reveals that he doesn't seem to know that most Linux installations don't even have an "admin" account. Even a beginner's manual tells you this on one of the first pages.

I personally find it simply plain stupid to comment on a subject you don't know *anything* about, which Karx has proved loudly. *That* is something that might confuse everybody else who can't spot on first sight that it's just a pile of rubbish.

And what exactly does the d in IRCd stand for?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 09:26:36 PM »
As I recall, there were simply two things that I have previously pointed out in this thread.

1.A reason for Linux users who also use the Unreal IRC (Internet Chat Relay) system on their Linux systems to take the time to check their Linux systems ... because of a "backdoor" that may have gotten onto their system without their knowledge.  I suggested nothing about how users may or may not use their systems.
2.In my second post in this thread, I stated my opinion that Matthew (based on his comment in this thread) may have much to learn about using Linux ... thus implying he might be commenting without sufficient knowledge on the subject. (was I incorrect?)

In the thread starting post, I used "IRC" instead of "IRCd" because most people are more familiar with what IRC stands for than what IRCd stands for.  (What is IRCd? Look here.)

karx11erx
1.pointed out (thank you, karx11erx) that the backdoor/trojan can only function at the same privileges as the user running the IRC process (or IRCd process to be precise).  Thus pointing out that running it by a username that has administrative rights ... that would be bad (for the user) or at least much worse than otherwise.
2.His question "Nobody here runs his Linux box as admin by default, or do you?" could be considered sarcasm if you wish.  He emphasized the poor wisdom it is to run stuff at admin level of access (which sadly many people do).

I agree
-with Karx that people should not be running all the time with elevated privileges (thus greatly decreasing possible problems). 
-with Thomas that the backdoor/trojan can still cause problems either way.  It's just restricted to what can be done at the current user's access rights.
Therefore it is wisdom for Linux users who also chat on the Unreal IRC ... to check their software, which was the reason for my original post.

Now that we've discussed this a bit (a bit more than I think was necessary) ... I think it's time we got back to other subjects ... Like the weather.  Gee, That sunset, wasn't that something?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: the weather
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 10:28:07 PM »
It's been very rainy here for the past few weeks.  There have been basement floodings all through the city. :P

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 08:46:51 AM »
Interestingly enough, there's been a few flooding problems in our area too, though it sounds like it's under control now. Heh, small world, huh? :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
Now that we've discussed this a bit (a bit more than I think was necessary) ... I think it's time we got back to other subjects ... Like the weather.  Gee, That sunset, wasn't that something?
How about combining the weather, the floods, and the global economy in one pool? ;)

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
How about combining the weather, the floods, and the global economy in one pool? ;)

Would that be in the Gulf of Mexico?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets