Author Topic: In Memorium  (Read 3931 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
In Memorium
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »
Long before my parents were born, and long after I die, they have been, and will be. Strong and valiant, enduring what most of us will never know, and hope to never know.  Living, working, and striving to protect, serve, and to build.

So many there have been that I have not known, who gave their all for love and country.  What must have been their thoughts, I wonder.  What were their hopes?  I do not know.  I can only hope that in my own way that I might also live, work, and strive to protect, serve, and to build as those before me did, that the young and the future so many fought and died for will never be in vain. 

Let what we do, be a humble and honourable memorial to the many who gave the ultimate sacrifice in the service of their country, for without them, we could not be, and the future we hope for our children has been made possible and preserved by their sacrifice.

Honour, love, and thanks I give this Memorial Day, and always.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: In Memorium
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »
My father served 3 month in the Navy, and found he got seasick, so finished his 20 years in the Air Force. But he was a Navy man at heart, and always said he wanted his ashes scattered at sea.

Tomorrow he will take that final voyage.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:26:52 AM »
That is very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  I am sure you will miss him.

My Father was drafted into WWII, in the Pacific and they put him with the Paratroopers, but he wouldn't jump so they put him on "permanent KP" (or so I heard him say just one time) and he spent his time working/managing/running one of the food service shifts.  I suspect there was much more about his service that he has never told his children (as far as I know) because when I one time interviewed him for a school report, he gave me detailed descriptions of what it was like to be in a fox hole at night, waiting to fight, not knowing what would happen at any moment, while the sounds of war clearly took place in the distance and you could hear the sounds of fighting and the sounds of the wounded.

His battalion was on the shore in Tokyo bay while the surrender of Japan was signed aboard the USS Missouri.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »
How did I just now notice this thread?  :o

Interesting stories, guys, thanks very much for sharing, wish I'd seen this sooner.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets