Author Topic: What??  (Read 7078 times)

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
What??
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:00:34 AM »
Congratz,
you haz
Hm, give me -100 powerups now,
but I dislike this style of writing. I found it inside several posts here. Tell me, what kind of language should this be?
Couldn't you all write in a way so every buddy can read/translate?
Thank you!

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
Re: What??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:32:34 AM »
You're talking about the nonsense like bunch of words found in some of the test and testing posts? 

It's called "Lorem Ipsum" and is simply dummy text for the printing and typesetting industry.  It is very useful when you need a bunch of text (not just random letters and numbers) that actually appears very similar to real text.

More info: http://www.lipsum.com/

I've noticed that our Commander-In-Chief likes to use it when testing posts.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 07:34:12 AM »
Well, I am certainly not going to neg you for your comment, Atan!

I am sorry if this makes it hard to understand but it's just poking a little fun at the English language, it's called lol-speak and comes from the website "I can haz cheezburger?".

But your point is well taken, I would not recommend using this language for any serious communication, say a tut, or helping someone with a tech problem.

In this case, "haz" is the common, slang way of pronouncing "have". Cats don't speak well, you know.  ;)

"Congratz" is slang for "Congrats", which is short for "Congratulations".

Some other examples would be "intertubez" for "internet" or "iz" for "is".
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:36:48 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »
Atan,

Your point is valid concerning the style of writing in my previous post. I assure you this is not my normal style.

This was intended to be a bit of humor directed at WillyP and D2Junkie. When WillyP attained the title "Lt. Commander" on this site, he has since commented on the PlanetDescent.com forum “I haz a title!” (I have a title). Now that D2Junkie also has joined the staff and has a title of "Major", I thought the pun was appropriate.

Feel free to to give me a power-down for the grammar. I be bad.  :(

It is too easy to forget that the Descent community is an international community for those of us living in the states and that translation of slang can be an issue.

min undskyldning
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 11:11:58 AM by PyroJockey »
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 12:13:04 PM »
Thank you all for your explanations!
It is too easy to forget that the Descent community is an international community for those of us living in the states and that translation of slang can be an issue.
I'm not sure about, but don't you think that most of them living beyond the big ocean?
ProJockey, this is the first time I used a PowerUP, it's yours :)
min undskyldning
Ok.., and this is understandable, even it's not written in my native language. ;)

Offline The Chief

• Commander
  • Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:18:44 PM »
Ok, then how about writing a Soupe on the subject of international communications?  ;D

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
min undskyldning
Ok.., and this is understandable, even it's not written in my native language. ;)

meine Entschuldigung?

I encounter similar problems when I visit the German language web sites (for Descent and Star Trek).

Both my parents immigrated to the US from Germany and technically English is my second language. Unfortunately bilingualism in the US was not tolerated in the 1960’s as it is now and I am no longer fluent. I rely heavily on the web based translators to fill the gaps, and grammar is important.

Thanks for the power-up
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 04:30:42 PM by PyroJockey »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »
Perhaps PyroJockey could help translate those German tutorials...  :)

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 10:15:16 PM »
I would be willing to proof read the translation and insure there are no overt errors in the syntax, such as the infamous "All your base now belong to us".

On a different note,

I found this link on KoolBear's website http://clustrmaps.com/counter/maps.php?url=http://koolbear.com

It may not be 100% acurate but it does give a general idea of the distribution of the Descent community worldwide.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 03:49:22 AM »
Atan has translated a few, but he's too busy working on MaSII...  ;)

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 07:21:16 AM »
I found a similar link with different statistics on descentbb.net
http://clustrmaps.com/counter/maps.php?url=http://descentbb.net

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 07:49:34 AM »
Something like that appeared on PD once...can't find the link to it...it was on Google Maps, tho.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 08:30:14 AM »
I may clarify my thoughts about that theme.
Such a map is telling us from where a site was selected, not where most Descenters living at.
For example, if we could see from where descentforum.de is clicked from.., I'm pretty sure most clicks come from Germany, Europe then. So I think that's no good idea to take this maps as a reference :)
So this maps don't tell us where most Descent fans still living. And, for me *that* significant point: Which area of such forums were/are clicked? Developing?, Levels? In my eyes a real Descenter is a player, or much better, a creative, developing fan of this game. Not, as I must see often, just a talking one, just to spread around.
Really nothing offense against you all here inside this thoughts, please don't understand me wrong now, it's just my opinion, my sight.

I would be willing to proof read the translation and insure there are no overt errors in the syntax, such as the infamous "All your base now belong to us".
I sent WillyP some translated tuts which contain less writing, so it would be easy to give it a try. The idea is to change that text, place it at Willys Wiki and send me the corrected doc file back. I will place them at Fischlein.de later. If time, I would 'pre-translate' some more of my tuts later. Sure you should write a line that you helped to translate it inside each doc. WillyP, could you offer PyroJockey that doc files I sent you?
Or if this isn't possible, then PyroJockey PM me your email adress where I should send the zipped doc files.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 09:34:22 AM »
Agreed with Atan. If we built a map distributing clicks for PD.com or PD.net, invariably we would have more clicks from the US, just as a .co.uk site would invariably recieve more United Kingdom clicks. As far as where were clicks directed, that would be a difficult thing to map, but I'm pretty sure it would be more standard across the globe or even more densely populated in Europe for subforums such as "Development."

I will make an educated guess that this is due to developers often rushing off for the very newest game in the US (people here tend to mod the Source engine, move to Quake IV, then to Crysis, etc.). It seems that Europeans are more apt to start and stick with an older game. As an American friend I work with put it when I was browsing this particular site, "You need to find a new game to play, man."  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »
I finished the first and it's at Descentiapedia/ToolsMenu... Then other things came up and I haven't gotten around to the others. I'd be happy to send the to PJ, but there isn't a whole lot of correction left to do. Actually, Atan's translation is quite good, only some minor grammatical errors, but quite readable as-is. My thought was PJ might be willing to help with some that have not been done yet. But I'd be happy to send them along as you wish.  8) Do you want them posted here for anybody to grab, or sent private?

And as far as a map goes, you are talking about two completely different things... And for that matter, a geographical map relating to different forums would probably divide along language and interest lines... For example, I do visit Descentforum.de occasionally, but not as often as I would if it was mostly English langauge. Has nothing to do with where the server is located. Did you even know we are in Canada right now... well, the server is, anyway... ;) I visit Descentforum.de more often than DescentBB.

The other kind of map you mention, where users click, it's possible to get some info from server logs. But really, you need to see what response you get for a topic. Click rates don't always tell the whole story.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:20:15 AM by WillyP »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets