Author Topic: Olympia Gold 3  (Read 13068 times)

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
Olympia Gold 3
« on: May 22, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »
Olympia Gold is a racing mod for D3. And tyhe reason nobody ever plays it, is it never worked 100%.
I don't know if it works 100 % but I do know that it's the exact opposite of what you'd expect from Descent 3.

Seems like a fun concept though, if Tomas got it working maybe someone will host it, once word gets out some more and people get it installed.
It's not that complicated to get it working. I never really installed it either. I just provided it with everything this old buggy installer wanted to see, then I copied all extracted files over to where they are supposed to be.

We tried it a couple of times already. My opinion is that it's a terribly boring mod, although the idea behind it seems good. Also, it's been implemented very professionally. It certainly must have been a lot or work.

The readme states that it won't work with dedicated servers, but I believe to remember that we ran it with D3Server3 (not sure about that anymore, though). If it needs an in-game server, you can forget it already anyway.

It is exaclty what it pretends to be: A race mod.

No bots, no battles between players, simply nothing the typical D3 player loves. The action is somehow missing. To keep it short, it's boring. At least for me.  ;D

However, it's probably worth flying through the levels once or twice. They are very nice to look at.  :)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
og temp
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »
Thanks for the info!

We are getting a bit off topic... since the OP was asking for help, if anyone wants to discuss OG, or Thomas' installer (except as relates to the topic), we should do so in a new topic.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:40:14 PM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Olympia Gold 3
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:39:35 PM »
As suggested by WillyP, our lord and master (  :D ), I have started a new topic.

Thomas, if you aren't willing to make a new installer for it can you at least explain how you got it working yourself?

OG3 may not have bots, but saying it doesn't have player battles is entirely untrue. The one time I did play it with someone else there was plenty of fighting and I had a blast. I'd really love to get OG3 working, and get a dedi server for it up if we got enough people interested.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
og temp
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:05:07 AM »
Quote from: Thomas
No bots, no battles between players, simply nothing the typical D3 player loves. The action is somehow missing. To keep it short, it's boring. At least for me.

I believe part of the idea was that you would shoot and attack other players and racers as you raced. But I dunno how well that would've worked. And the mod may in theory work, but I know Techpro downloaded it once and spent a great deal of time trying to get it to work, and only ever succeeded to do it partially.

The idea is a good one...it just needs more work. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Olympia Gold 3
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:06:24 AM »
Tweak the ships so that they go faster. Much faster. Like, their slowest speed being equal to your top speed when afterburning in ordinary gameplay. 8)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:17:53 AM »
Hmm, I remember playing with "OatmealCommando" on OG3. You have to have a seperate install of D3 that is patched to 1.5Beta, or else it will not work correctly, but once you get it all set up, its pretty dang fun.

I remember hacking the training level (the one that spawns endless pyro bots) to support OG3. So I could fight the pyros with the OG3 weapons and Ships. It was awesome. (All it takes is editing the .msn file.)

As for the installer, I do not know how to go about doing this, so I cannot help with that, sorry. :|
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:10:03 PM »
Scyphi, they already go plenty fast in OG3.

And you should move your other post here too.

Ah, it needs a separate install? Will have to take a look at that.

EDIT: Nooooes I sad :( Of all my numerous backups and alternat einstalls of D3, I don't have s ingle one that isn't 1.4 :(

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »
I patched up to 1.5 on a new install OG3 worked flawlessly. I even got a game (non-dedi) to show on vortex. Anyone know if a dedi is possible? I tried but it kept crashing.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »
Never set up a server on OG3. But, I think my friend "OatmealCommando" set it up as a dedi somehow. I still miss him. :|

Dont have is email or anything.  :-\
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 03:17:37 AM »
I've sent Foil an email about, we'll see what he says.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 06:52:52 AM »
Odd... I haven't gotten any emails, Matthew.

Last I heard about OG3 (from one of the developers, when I was working on the BreakOut mod) is that the multiplayer code was never finished, and that there are still some bugs in the last version they released.

I've never personally set it up on a dedicated server, so I don't have any advice for that, I'm sorry.  If anyone finds a way to get it working, let me know.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
og temp
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 07:12:09 AM »
Olympia Gold is a racing mod for D3. And tyhe reason nobody ever plays it, is it never worked 100%.
I don't know if it works 100 % but I do know that it's the exact opposite of what you'd expect from Descent 3.

Seems like a fun concept though, if Tomas got it working maybe someone will host it, once word gets out some more and people get it installed.
It's not that complicated to get it working. I never really installed it either. I just provided it with everything this old buggy installer wanted to see, then I copied all extracted files over to where they are supposed to be.

We tried it a couple of times already. My opinion is that it's a terribly boring mod, although the idea behind it seems good. Also, it's been implemented very professionally. It certainly must have been a lot or work.

The readme states that it won't work with dedicated servers, but I believe to remember that we ran it with D3Server3 (not sure about that anymore, though). If it needs an in-game server, you can forget it already anyway.

It is exaclty what it pretends to be: A race mod.

No bots, no battles between players, simply nothing the typical D3 player loves. The action is somehow missing. To keep it short, it's boring. At least for me.  ;D

However, it's probably worth flying through the levels once or twice. They are very nice to look at.  :)

Sounds like WipEout in D3.  Cool.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 10:00:37 AM »
I don't think I knew OG required 1.5 when I tried it.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 12:39:15 PM »
Hmmm.... Has your email changed? I guess I'll drop you a PM instead. I honestly forgot we have PMs now :P

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 05:22:08 AM »
Quote from: Matthew
Scyphi, they already go plenty fast in OG3.

Hmm, last time I fooled around with OG3, they didn't seem to be going fast enough to make it count. Just regular D3 speeds, which aren't anywhere close to what I'd expect for a racing mod. D3 wasn't built for that.

But then I again, I never got the chance to play the game much with other players, like what Drac described earlier. Maybe I was just missing out. :P
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets