Author Topic: Lone Pyro  (Read 11270 times)

Offline The Chief

• Commander
  • Silver
Lone Pyro
« on: May 23, 2009, 07:24:57 PM »

A lone pyro streaks across the sky...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:45:29 PM by Commander-In-Chief »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Lone Pyro
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 06:37:27 AM »
Thats the heatsink level, right? Dol Ahmed Refinery, or something like that. I never did find the secret level in that one!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 07:02:59 AM »
The Dol Ahmed Refinery doesn't actually have a secret level, but in a "room" (underground crevice?) there is a data cartridge hidden away that contains info about a secret base.  Then once you finish the Dol Ahmed Refinery, you'll get to go check out the secret base mentioned on the cartridge.

Want some info on how to find the cartridge?  ;)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:16:17 AM »
oooh... yeah!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »
Ooh, and that's the Origin Zero secret level. Great shoot-'em-up level, tho the level itself doesn't make a lick of sense. (I think it's both a level made from scraps from the game, and an unfinished level that was to be part of some original storyline to D3 that got scrapped [I know there was one])

I'd explain it, but it's very hard to explain.  ::) Better let TechPro do it, he's better at it. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 06:56:58 AM »
The only times I've gotten the disk/cartridge/whatever, it was due to flying around aimlessly through the maze of tunnels until I got to a part where the tunnel is broken and you can fly around in the cave a bit. It's tucked away in a crevice, but I couldn't for the life tell you where... It's just in that mindless network of tunnels, if you know where I'm talking about. It's a bit easy to miss unless you stumble on it unintentionally.

Oh, and yeah, I often wondered what the purpose of Origin Zero is. But heck, it's a nice place to destroy stuff and get cool new weapons.  :)

As far as scraps are concerned, play the PTMC Piccu Station level on the first D3 demo and then play Dravis' Stronghold. Many, many rooms that were removed from the final version of the Piccu Station due to the monotony - and length - of the demo level were eventually rehashed for Dravis' Stronghold (a more easily identifiable room is the flashing energy center that must be activated to be used). Just an observation.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:09:56 AM by D2Junkie »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:59:54 AM »
Yes, I noticed that. I believe the same rooms make various other appearances in other levels, tho not as many. Granted, it's probably a scraps and quick-build thing that it came about, but it does give the PTMC mines a bit of a universal look. Like all of the mines by that point in time were built using similar to near-identical layouts.

Speaking of that D3 demo, it's quite clear they had something different in mind for the game at the time, and I'm willing to bet it was a different storyline (I would love to know what that storyline was, and in full). Which makes me wonder if Origin Zero somehow fit into that old storyline, only to get recycled when that storyline, whatever it was, fell through the floor in favor for the one we know of now.   :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 11:33:03 AM »
The only times I've gotten the disk/cartridge/whatever, it was due to flying around aimlessly through the maze of tunnels until I got to a part where the tunnel is broken and you can fly around in the cave a bit. It's tucked away in a crevice, but I couldn't for the life tell you where... It's just in that mindless network of tunnels, if you know where I'm talking about.

Ok, I know right where you are talking about, I don't recall seeing a cartridge there, though. And yes, I have searched that bit of cave quite thoroughly! Then again, it's been a while since I've played that level through by myself, I usually play it coop with the kids and they give up too easy. :P

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 07:02:05 PM »
How to get that damaged data cartridge in the Dol Ahmad Refinery level:

After you opened the heat sinks, and AFTER you blow the last of the heat sinks, you'll be locked inside one heatsink structure and the alarms go off ... and the only path for you to take is a tunnel leading into the rest of the facility.  At that point...
1. Entering the passage, at the very 1st junction, to your right a forcefield blocks that passage, to your left is a short passage to a single room.  In that room, right above the entrance to the passage is a switch.  Hit it.  This will turn off the forxefield in the other passage.
2. Resuming in to the passages, drive straight in the other (previously forcefield blocked) passage.
3. After a short distance, the passage will pass through a crevice.  The cartridge is NOT in that crevice.  Continue down the passage (unless you want to explore).
4. This passage will come to another junction.  Straight ahead will come to an end.  To the Right will also come to an end.  Turn Left and you will come to another crevice before the passage ends.
5. Kill all the Old Scratches living here (there are a few) at the crevice.  Then carefully explore the crevice. Tucked around one of the edges of the crevice the Damaged Data Cartridge waits for you.
6. Once you have the cartridge, finish the level as you wish.  When you finish the level, the game will take you to the location mentioned in the cartridge.

Enjoy!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 06:15:54 AM »
See, I told you TechPro could explain it the best...:P
Check out my deviantART

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »
Cool, so can we just post Pictures here? So like everyone can do it and stuff?

That would be cool if we could have "Pictures Of the Day" instead of "Pictures of every few Months or so"
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
Actually, POTD's will still be posted by moderators (as well as news and Soupes). However, all you have to do is PM or send a bit of front page goodness to one of them, and it will be posted under your user ID - that way, it's just like posting it yourself. ;D

Not that we don't trust each other here or anything. Its just that giving front page moderation access to someone such as, oh, lets just say, Pershing could be borderline disastrous.  ;)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 02:44:48 PM »
Oh wow.  I'd forgotten about the bizarre Pershing posting (it was in 2004).  D2Junkie, how far did you have to dig to pull that one up?

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »
Well i sent one  ;D
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 06:29:38 AM »
That posting came to mind immediately when Darc asked. It took about 10 minutes to find it. I just kept moving forward on every page until I saw the name. Besides, that always gave me a good laugh - that guy went to quite a bit of trouble to post all that on our website, and yet to no avail. ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets