Author Topic: Guitar Hero controller  (Read 6515 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Guitar Hero controller
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »
Oh this thing is driving me nuts...  click, clickclickclick! click, clickclickclick! click, clickclickclick! click, clickclickclick! click, clickclickclick! click, clickclickclick!

The music I don't mind, even the missed notes, but the constant noise from the controller is so obnoxious. I just told him I think he needs to find another game.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Guitar Hero controller
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 06:14:39 PM »
The Guitar Hero guitar sounds like a helicopter.

Who's him and tell him to go play Descent. If not that, then Battlefield Bad Company 2.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 06:17:38 PM »
It's my oldest son, he plays GH on the wii.

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:26:14 PM »
Should have gone with Rock Band.  Its guitars don't click. :P

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:48:04 AM »
Hehe. I chose to play neither. :)
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:28:12 AM »
I never really saw what was so great about that game anyway. I mean, I understand the concept, and what makes it a game...but I have to wonder if it really deserves the hype it's gotten.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:50:05 AM »
It was fun before they decided the game needed a zillion sequels. I was fan up until around GH3, then it just got old. I did remember getting 92% on a multiplayer match on Dragon Force's "Through The Fire And The Flames" on Expert. I kinda let that win be my swan song for Guitar Hero.

I dislike the Rock Band guitar, BTW. Likely because I'm used to the GH one.

But, in the end, I prefer my 1985 Ibanez Proline PR1440RD.

... Dag, yo. I look like a little kid in that photo. I was 18 when that was taken haha.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:52:30 AM by D2Junkie »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 11:56:15 AM »
It's not a game I would play, and he's only had it since Christmas. He did have it on the DS before that. I tried it a couple of times and totally bombed. He gotten  100% on three songs... on easy. ::)

Give me a real guitar anytime!

+1 for Ibanez! I've had two Ibanez basses, a blonde and a gloss black.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »
I have a Jackson Bass, second hand with Duncan Magz-In fact I was messin' around with it a couple of minutes ago :) I roughly got through Descent Level 10's basses!

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »
Rock Band is decidedly the better series at this point, primarily because it's the one being developed by Harmonix, the original creators of the first two Guitar Hero games (and Rocks the 80s, for that matter).  Ever since Activision bought out the Guitar Hero brand, that franchise dipped in quality, as Activision has had a habit of doing over the past few years.  The Beatles: Rock Band in particular deserves credit for being an amazingly well-constructed and respectful tribute to the most influential band of all time.

And why do people play these games in the first place?  Because they're massively fun, especially if you can get a few friends together to jam with you.  I have no innate musical skill myself, and I have little interest in investing the thousands of hours I'd require to become even competent at the guitar.  Guitar Hero/Rock Band enable me to interact with and enjoy terrific music in a way I'd never be able to otherwise, and adding more people into the mix makes the collaborative effort all the more enjoyable.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
We got Rock Band for the kids for Christmas 2 years ago. The kids enjoyed it but I didn’t see the attraction, no joystick, no weapons and no explosions. I decided to try it one day when my son was playing the drums. I picked up the guitar and fumbled around for a while thinking I was starting to get it. After finishing a set my son paused and without looking up sighed “dad, please don’t do that when I’m around”. That was the last time I touched the damn thing.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
There's a lot more to gaming than a joystick and explosions, you know. :P

Your son needs to lighten up, though; we've loved it when our parents have attempted to play.  (My mom was getting pretty good with the guitar at one point.)  Hell, we had our grandmother try a song once, which was a recipe for hilarity. :D There is a significant learning curve when you're starting out, but if you play it enough, muscle memory starts to kick in, and the songs come much more naturally.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 04:55:49 AM »
He tried lightning up after I spoke to him and it was considerable better, but still, annoying as heck listing to that click click click. However it is not his favorite game and he's not allowed the wii on school nights so it's maybe once a month he's played recently.

Your right about the muscle memory, it's like anything else with practice you get good at it. Just something I had no interest in playing.  ;)

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:45:03 AM »
There's a lot more to gaming than a joystick and explosions, you know. :P

Your son needs to lighten up, though; we've loved it when our parents have attempted to play.

Before we had Rock Band we had "Dance Dance Revolution" (DDR) set up in the basement. I tried that too. To sum it up with an equation:
(tall dad)+(DDR)+(low clearance)="the THUD heard through the house".

I should stick to shooters. :(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:46:56 AM by PyroJockey »
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 06:07:45 AM »
Give me a real guitar anytime!

+1 for Ibanez! I've had two Ibanez basses, a blonde and a gloss black.

I have a yamaha keyboard.  It's high quality, but I got it cheap (I know it's not a guitar, but still...)

My dad has a steel stringed (acoustic) guitar.  It's been in my family since before I was born.  My dad is taking lessons for it now.  I'm allowed to try it when he's not using it, but I haven't even started to comprehend it on my own.

My friend (Klixovann in D3) is learning to play electric guitar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets