Author Topic: Missing level files  (Read 9711 times)

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
Missing level files
« on: May 13, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
I noticed that there are some new servers called "Miner Wars Compserver #xy" up.

One of them hosts a mission called "C5" while another one hosts a mission called "Insompipe".

Has anyone got a clue where those two levels can be downloaded from?

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Missing level files
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »
Nope. Not even sure why they're hosting such a pitiful level selection at all, honestly. At the very least I would've hoped for them to update the level links. I've had people tell me that it's not possible but I know it is and I have done it myself.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:38:19 PM »
The Miner Wars are somewhat private servers for the Miner Wars Descent tournament.They should distinguish between which is a practice server and which is actual competition. Practice, anyone can join. Competition happens on Saturdays. The 22nd is the last Saturday.

You can find the levels at....ummm. it starts with an F. It is German and it's descent.fishen.de(?). I have no idea how to spell it. (I'm on the DSi and away from the computer) It is the website that all of PD.com's levels were linked to.

Wern't you supposed to be in the tournament also, Matt? Your name is in the competition ladder along with the ones who don't have any points.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »
Yes! That is the one.

Here's that competition ladder
http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=479
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:12:02 PM »
Yeah, somebody neglected to specify a date and I didn't even know it had started. I said SUMMER for a reason. Some people actually have school still.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 02:29:15 AM »
Thanks for the hints about Fischlein's page. ;)

I can't find those two levels there. That's actually the reason for my post here. ;)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 02:46:19 AM »
I wasn't able to find one, and the other booted me as soon as I tried to join. Rather poor planning, not to post the levels and make sure everyone had access to the correct versions of them.

And anyone with D3Edit can change the auto-download links in the level.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:48:28 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 03:12:59 AM »
You don't need D3edit, you need an MN3 extractor and a text editor. Some serverops however try to insist that you need to edit the MN3 itself (which corrupts it), which is simply not true.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 03:21:27 AM »
Matt, D3Edit is quite capable of handling this task.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:44:06 AM »
You don't need D3edit, you need an MN3 extractor and a text editor. Some serverops however try to insist that you need to edit the MN3 itself (which corrupts it), which is simply not true.

That's all wrong.

The links are in the msn file which is embedded in the mn3. That means you need to be able to extract the mn3, edit the msn (that could be done with a text editor, yes), and then create the mn3 again. After that, you got to zip it by retaining the name.

D3Edit can handle this with a few mouse clicks.
http://www.dateiliste.com/descent-3/3-playing-descent-3-online/20-providing-download-links-for-hosted-missions.html

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 11:58:06 AM »
No Thomas that is not necessary. If your modified msn is in the D3 directory it will override the one in the mn3 just like any other file will. Repackaging it is not needed.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »
That somehow reminds me of extracted objects.

Placing an msn with the same name as the mn3 in your D3's main folder fixes it for _you_, in this very moment. It doesn't fix anything at all in reality. It's a simple bodge.

Updating the altered msn inside the mn3 and uploading the updated zip is the correct way. That fixes it for everybody else after you too.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »
Guys, guys... chill.

Yes, you can edit the links via D3Edit.
Yes, you can edit the links with the MN3Edit tool.
Yes, you can open the .mn3, and then edit the links in the .msn with a text editor.
Yes, you can simply put an updated .msn in the D3 folder.

Those all work.

The point is that server-ops (including me) need to be watchful about broken auto-download links.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:38:23 PM by Foil »

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »
Guys, guys... chill.
Thanks, Foil. I like the idea of a cold beer. ;)

Yes, you can edit the links via D3Edit.
Yes, you can edit the links with the MN3Edit tool.
The latter one is a very slim and quick tool. Compared to it, D3Edit is big and slow but has the advantage that it doesn't allow you to use a different zip file name for the final package. This can help prevent typos.

The point is that server-ops (including me) need to be watchful about broken auto-download links.
I'd even go one step further and say that server-ops should have a link to the zip with the corrected links on top of the download list. Anything else (including an updated msn, which is placed in the main folder) is just like a chain letter: Everyone who downloads that mission file hasn't got the corrected download links in their version of the file.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets