Author Topic: D3 edit level opening issues  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
D3 edit level opening issues
« on: May 11, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »
Okay, I'm on Windows 7 x64 bits version.  Here the issue- everytime I open any saved levels it gives me an error that says "couldn't save a copy" and then "unsupported file type".  I did run it as an admin (with compatiblility mode to winxp sp2) but it won't open the level.  Is this a glitch or something?
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: D3 edit level opening issues
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 06:56:52 PM »
Most likely, you don't have full rights to the file.  Are the files copied from another system?  If so, chances are there are some access rights settings that carried over from the previous system.  You'll need to "reset" the access rights to the files.

Check to see if they are set to "read only" while you're at it.  You'll need to turn that off too.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:40:41 PM »
Where is it saved to? Windows (especially win7) likes to have everything read-only just to annoy you.

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:07:30 PM »
in the GOG.com version of the Descent 3 Directory (e.g. Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Descent 3\wips)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:09:28 AM »
My best advice: move it out of Program Files. (despite the fact that it was downloaded via GOG it should still work). Program Files has some (pretty useful actually) policies by default that prevent unprivilaged applications from writing to various directories (if they try, they are either prevented or they get written to a virtual folder (which this handling could be better, but it's nice to see microsoft try this)). Obviously, as a result, it becomes somewhat annoying to try to use utilities such as editors, which constantly save files.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
You may go into the D3Edit-Settings and uncheck 'Autosave' (if your version support this)
Autosave will make a copy BEFORE you open your level so you may have a save copy if you kill your level during work with it. If you own 5 copys D3Edit will ask you to delete, move to the trash that copys for saving space on your HD.

If you want to use this feature so it's the best to tell Windows that the Descent3 folder is yours ;)

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:33:02 AM »
Okay, so it was the GOG.com directory of mine.  The other directories (outside any Program Files directory) worked well

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:29:50 PM »
You could also have simply removed the restrictions from the folder D3 is in.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets