Author Topic: New 6 boss Mission beta!  (Read 9831 times)

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
New 6 boss Mission beta!
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »
Hey hey PD! :D

So, I've got a new level that needs testing, looking for bugs in the texturing, spots that dont flow well, places that are too hard.

This mission is a combination of 6 levels, all of the bosses are in their own level. Post back comments and such here.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ocqtm

Also, please note that saving is screwed up for this level. I have no idea why.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: New 6 boss Mission beta!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:50:50 PM »
First two levels were great. Here's what I wrote on the ODF.

Quote from: NUMBERZero
I love the designs of the boss rooms. I wish that the one you made for the water boss was the official one. He flowed around the rooms a lot more efficiently.

Red Fatty's room was comfortable for me to scrap in. You were easily able to orbit most of the enemies down one section. The two enterances into the main rooms were great. Sometimes a place with just one enterance becomes unbearable. We all know the Ice Boss

The only real problem was when you spawned into the second level, that mine *right there* is extremely rude to you. If you didn't put your JS throttle to idle, you are going to be hit.

Your reply.
Quote from: Kaizerwolf
That mine is there for a purpose, buddy. It's for people who aren't careful. You'll notice that in the later levels, the mines are generally in very dark parts of the mine.

Sneaky sneaky.

Level 3:
+ : The exit forcefield controls were clever and easy to find.

- : The design of the level was pretty cool, but the room that he was in was extremely cramped. His mega missiles blast away half of the room which makes it difficult to get hits on him for any prolonged amount of time. It is possible to camp in the energy center, but he can send a mega down a hole and because of its large FOV, it will smoke you. The robots that he spawns can also smoke you out from behind. Camping in the doorway is not the best either because he can teleport and just show up and get his missile launcher ready to shove a missile down the hole.

I didn't like this level as much as the others because of the very tiny boss room. I think that it needs to be made bigger.

Level 4:
+ : I liked the cage with the powerful weapons. The way to open it wasn't immediately obvious, but I was able to figure it out. The 2 other insertion doors threw me off a bit, thinking that they would hold some secret. The matcen outside the key room was unique and beautifuly made. I loved the underwater section, eventhough it was only about the size of 1.5 cubes. I love those so much. I wish more levels had more of that.

- : The boss room was very difficult to get into. You had robots with explosive weapons ready to greet you when you first pop in and there is a minimal chance of getting away. Even after dealing with them or not, loads of other bots would appear and clog both sides of the room that you enter. Running out there to get some elbow room is suicide because the boss will get you as you smash through all of them.

A good way to balance out the problems there would be to make a U shaped tunnel running under and to the other side of that first place that you come in to the boss room. That way after you mess with the bots on one side, you can run around to the other side and have a shot at their backs. Rinse and repeat.

Level 5:
+ : I have never seen a more awesome setup like this one. The series of doors leading to the boss. The boss room is unique. First impression was that it looked like a city underground. Reminded me a lot of Hellbender. Very amazing to fly through there.

- : None

Level 6:

+ : Awesome to be flying into your old level NZ. Pretty cool! Everything went smoothly, except for the fact that there were hardly any big weapons that you could find here or in the previous levels to use on this boss, which made this fight extremely long.

- : Lack of weapons.

That's it. All I think is that 3 and 4 need some work, and it will be good to fly. Everything else is amazingly detailed. It's a Godsend that someone like you is willing to go through the process of making every little detail for a game that is bearly on the radar. I haven't played too many custom made, short series of D2 levels, but this is the best by far.

Oh yeah, could the problem of not being able to save be due to the fact that you probably imported your old level? Hmmm. Although, it didn't work before even when you just had the first 2 levels.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:52:40 PM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:05:25 PM »
So that's where you've been all this time... ;)

I'll check this out later. Is it for D1, D2, does it need D2X-XL?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 06:36:59 PM »
Sorry about not being around, it's partly the fault of me forgetting Descent for a bit, and school.

And, it's just a Descent 2 mission, 6 levels, one for each boss. Forgot to mention that, sorry!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »
bump

Is anyone else going to try them? I highly reccommend them!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »
I'll give it a spin. Sounds interesting.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:10:33 PM »
It's nearing the end of the semester... Once it officially gets here I'm totally going for it.
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 07:04:16 PM »

Level 5:
+ : I have never seen a more awesome setup like this one. The series of doors leading to the boss. The boss room is unique. First impression was that it looked like a city underground. Reminded me a lot of Hellbender. Very amazing to fly through there.

- : None

Thanks for the comment on level 5 bud. I used some custom textures I found. The whole idea of the level was to make an underground nuclear reactor that had gone haywire, spawning the boss. If you notice the first column that you come to in the large boss area, the two robot reactor are there. That was completely original; i had a stroke of inspiration from Hellbender. :P

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:09:58 PM »
Hmmm.... Killed me on the first level (at the same time the Boss died)  :'(

Gonna have to play around with this one some more.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »
Update ... Played it some more.  Interesting.

By the way, have you learned why Saving wasn't working?  (I know why)

Change the Mission file name to something that is 8 characters or less (and no spaces).  Something like "marximc" (marximc.hog, marximc.mn2).  Descent was designed back when longer file names were not yet used by Microsoft OS computers ... and Descent 2 came at a time when the idea of long file names was still new (even though the Mac OS had been doing it for a loooong time).

Changing the Mission file name may require to to re-connect the levels together (so that it moves from one level to the next)... but should make things much better for everyone.

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 07:23:34 PM »
Ah, thanks for the tip! I knew that there was some character limit, but I wasn't sure what it was. I've been working on some other new levels, but I'll have to go back and fix up/release this boss one.

Thanks for sort of reminding me, Tech Pro. :D

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 04:41:50 PM »
Yeap, TechPro is right. Always be sure to have your HOG, MN2 and level (RL2) filenames no longer than 8 characters and using only letters and numbers.That way your mission will be fully playable on any Descent version.

That's why my Pumo Mines hog is named simply 'kartsal.hog' and my levels 'pmlev01.rl2, pmlev02.rl2, etc'.

Anyway, i will give your mission a try (as soon as i get some time to do it), as it sounds REALLY promising. :D
Will give you my review later.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 06:46:10 PM »
Sorry for this bump, but hey, it'll be on topic.

The file for this thing is missing! I have no clue where it went! I have no idea what happene, but I gotta play again. Does anyone or Kaiz have it still?

Nevermind. Found it! I just have to clean up my folders. Sorry!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:52:14 PM by Omega »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »
Sorry for this bump, but hey, it'll be on topic.

The file for this thing is missing! I have no clue where it went! I have no idea what happene, but I gotta play again. Does anyone or Kaiz have it still?

Nevermind. Found it! I just have to clean up my folders. Sorry!
Ban this person who dares bump a thread!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 05:22:38 AM »
Can't. No rules.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets