Author Topic: How to use Descent on Linux  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Blackwolf454

• Silver
  • Ben
    • Youtube  page
How to use Descent on Linux
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:13:47 AM »
I'm ubuntu and I'm wondering how to a open DXX-rebirth I see file to open to play can anybody help me how to get it to work on ubuntu
Prepare for Descent

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: How to use Descent on Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »
I'm not totally familiar on the process, but there's no binary. You need to make it yourself. See the INSTALL.TXT file for more details.

Also, I can't tell what you're trying to say. This is the best interpetation

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
I was going to tell you to go to the DXX-Rebirth forum and ask there, but I see you already have.

Was the instructions in the install.txt file not clear?  If so, maybe I can help clear it up for you.

Offline Blackwolf454

• Silver
  • Ben
    • Youtube  page
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:43:14 AM »
Yea the Install.txt is not clear to me
Prepare for Descent

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:08:31 AM »
Give me a day or two to look at that (busy, you know  ;)) and I'll see if I can clear things up.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 02:03:23 AM »
Blackwolf,

you are using a screenshot made with D2X-XL as forum avatar and want to use DXX-Rebirth?

Shame on you. :P

Afaik there are D2X-XL debian/Ubuntu packages making installing it on Ubuntu easy. The hardest thing may be installing all the additional data (but that's not really hard).

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:47:56 AM »
Balckwolf454,
I've looked over the install.txt (attempted installing, too) ... and I gotta agree.  It could use some clarifications.

Three of the required components I was not able to be sure I'd gotten the right items through Synaptic Package Manager ("SDL(-devel)", "PhysFS(-devel)
", "GLU/GL") and thus the compiling and install may work at all.

If some nice person who knows more than me (that's not hard) could clarify what items in Ubuntu to have installed to satisfy the required componenets ... I'm all ears.

By running Terminal and changing to the directory where I extracted the source files from the downloaded tar.gz file (do you know how to change directories when in Terminal?) ... then run gksudo I get a prompt for what command to run (enter in "scons") then it asks for my password (in order to run scons at root level access) ... but scons ends up terminating because of errors.  :'(

Obviously, more info is needed before I can do the install.  I'm not surprised someone else has a problem too.

P.S. I'm moving this thread to the Technical area.

I've also posted about this at the DXX-Rebirth forum in your thread on this topic.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:04:24 AM by TechPro »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets