Author Topic: Stuck  (Read 19657 times)

Offline gene

• Silver
Stuck
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:26:23 AM »
Hi,

What do you do when you're simply stuck and can't seem to get through a level.  On level 14, I believe (it's been a while because I've simply given up trying to play), I can't seem to get to where I'm supposed to place the "lens".  I'm constantly being attacked and am unable to keep that reflectors in position.  Someone or something is touching them when I'm not around.

Gene.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Stuck
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 06:46:37 AM »
You are at the very end when ypi start the transmission, right? You have to protect it at all costs. Place all of your gunboy around the matcens. They will provide a distraction for all of the bots who's goal is not to go for the lens. Your guide bot will warn you when there is one going for the lens. Look for the squid who is making a run for the lens. He usually just comes straight from the matcen and does not shoot.

And you do not have to place the lens unless a robot has already blown up the first one. If he has, and you know you have picked up the replacement, find it in your inventory and replace it. If you need it, go out the little exit in the floor to the big room, make a right, and go through the door there. This hallway is a big ring that brings you back to where you first entered this room. If you turned on the power, you may have some bots to deal with. IIRC, go left and the replacement should be closest to you that way. Then repeat the first paragraph.

IDK what happens if the replacement gets blown up. I've never had to replace the first one.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:51:01 AM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:59:18 AM »
I don't think the game is rigged for the replacement to be blown up (for the original was scripted to be blown up if you don't destroy the robot going after it first), so that's why. I'd assume that if the replacement did get destroyed though, it'd trigger a mission fail.

I don't think Gene's quite at that spot, though, I think he's somewhere just before it, trying to align the mirrors so he can attempt the data upload.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:49:12 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline X-ray

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:55:47 AM »
What I'm stuck on is this level where you hafta get through a subway I FINALLY made it throurgh ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:11:40 AM by X-ray »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »
Ah yes, probably the most hated level of D3, level four, with the subway trains.

Which is kind of a pity. If it weren't for those trains and the fact that the rest of the level is surprisingly barren robot-wise, it's actually a pretty cool level.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 12:11:30 PM »
I really dislike level 4 as well... That subway nonsense takes far too much time. I like the end, and the sewers is pretty awesome, but I rarely get that far because I get disgusted with the trains. It's alright if you can take onto a co-op game right at the start and follow someone who knows it really well, but alone it's just bleh.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:17:55 PM »
I find it funny that I love the "most hated" descent levels.  :P
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:52:49 PM »
I love all of them, especially 13. The environment there is awesome.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 03:52:43 AM »
Some of the earlier levels are the best. 13 didn't play too bad but it beared no resemblance to a giant spacecraft. 10 was good but the music got annoying after a while. and 14 is probably one of the reasons why I made a general switch to the tank (Pyro turns way too fast, when you are used to the D1 one it's almost impossible to use the D3 one), because those sharcs were way too hard to hit. 15 would have been fine if it wasn't for those lava-traps you have to go through at some point (yes you can go straight to the right one but it still causes too much damage) and yet, the first couple of levels (perhaps even 4 outside of the subways, maybe even the subways when you know about them) had almost no annoying bits in the gameplay.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 07:43:59 AM »
I like the first few levels of D3, but I will admit that after about the halfway point, I slowly start losing interest (right about the level where you're on Mercury and are getting ship parts).

I despise lvl 13 structure wise, because, as Insanity said, it makes little sense as to what it's supposed to be. True, it is only the mere aft portion of a very, very, big ship, and there's probably going to be less organized corridors and more unorganized mechanics, but not to the extreme of lvl 13.

15 was cool, because it was a kind of a hybrid of more than one of the earlier levels in the game, but it is a little long winded.

As for level 4, I've got the subways down to a science and actually rarely die in there if I take the time to do it. Most of the time I can't be bothered though, and generally try to skip over the level by cheating (but that does ruin your score, so...)

Like D1 and D2 before it, I actually haven't played all the way through and finished D3 (though I got very close, like halfway through level 14 before my save game got corrupted or something like that, forcing me to start over).
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
...it makes little sense as to what it's supposed to be...

That's true about every level. I generally try to ignore that aspect. It's abstract art.  ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 12:33:06 PM »
Some of my favorite levels are Level 3 (I love the supertheif, the rest of the level can just go away :P), the proving Grounds, and the one where you're getting the parts for the Tank. Those are some really fun levels, especially with cheats on :P

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 12:58:05 PM »
Some of my favorite levels are Level 3 (I love the supertheif, the rest of the level can just go away :P), the proving Grounds, and the one where you're getting the parts for the Tank. Those are some really fun levels, especially with cheats on :P

Have you ever let the Super Theif steal your mass driver? Thats fun. =P
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »
The proving grounds disappointed me. I thought the champions would be enemy pyros with good AI!

that's what lead me to start my descent 2 arena level which I'm currently stalling on

The super thief was fun and somewhat funny what with the WarMonacle and all of that. all it needs now is a WarTopHat

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets