Author Topic: My First Case Mod...  (Read 2859 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
My First Case Mod...
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
So I've been talking about my experiences with my computer build project, and they've been frustrating at best (got the MSI board RMA'd only to have a new one shipped with the same exact overheating problem - manufacturing defect?). So what to do with my time? Well, grab some paint and sandpaper and start working that case down from looking like a cinderblock into looking like something cool, of course!

Okay, so it's not particularly original, but I don't think it's turned out too badly as my first case mod. I simply sanded down the original black coat about 70% of the way and did the yellow spray on top of that. I broke every spraypainting rule in the book in order to get it to look like this: the stenciling was very quickly shot on top of a yellow coat that didn't cure, but that was purely intentional, because I wanted it to look like... well, a stencil shot on top of a yellow coat that didn't cure. Makes sense, then. I just put it together for a quick picture, but it's going to be left out to cure for a couple of days and then have a clear coat shot on top to seal it. I'm not too worried about it getting scratches or anything in it (heck, I'd encourage it!), so I didn't prime it (it would have been difficult to get this look on a primed surface). Anywho, I think it's looking quite nice so far.

EDIT: The other side:

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:45:49 PM by D2Junkie »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: My First Case Mod...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »
Looks like it stepped right out of a Doom level ...

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »
I choose to interpret that as a compliment.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Eagle131

• Silver
    • E. Ruoss
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 06:29:03 PM »
that is a really cool looking case.  if you did the paintjob yourself than I think it can be called original.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:28:46 AM »
Quote from: Techpro
Looks like it stepped right out of a Doom level ...

I was actually thinking Descent 1...and I mean that in a good way. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »
Very nice!!  I'm pretty impressed, especially since my artistic skills are basically nil.  :P

Where did you get the stencils?  Or did you make them yourself?

-----------

I certainly know that a PC mod of any kind can be fun, but for a first-time build, it can be a bit tense... "Oh, man... better not screw this up!"  :)

[For anyone interested, here's a link to a writeup of a recent mod/build I did.]

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets