Poll

Is anyone still interessted in building D3 levels?

Yes
5 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: July 14, 2009, 11:43:05 PM

Author Topic: D3Editing  (Read 5567 times)

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
D3Editing
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:43:05 PM »
Seems that there are only a few level designer who are still building D3 level outside.
So I would like to know how much we own here at this forum. Anyone?
I'm thinking over to translate some new D3EditAV related tutorials into English language.
WillyP stated that he would like to help and will look over the results to own a better English later.
But I / we could use our rare time for other stuff, if no D3 level builder one is left.. so please let me know..

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: D3Editing
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:03:33 AM »
Hmm, I got fed up with D3 level building ages ago. Never could seem to get the hang of it. Not mention never seeming to have the time anymore.

But, if you've got more tutorials somewhere that aren't already well known to everybody, I would want to see them. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:35:27 PM »
I still do some now and then... Right now I'm pretty busy at work, and other r/l stuff, well, summer is here in New Egland, lol...
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:23:23 AM »
I would be more interested if I were able to build levels. But I simply am not that talented, nor do I have the time to study up and learn how to.  :-\

It seems that recently D1 and D2 levels have become quite popular to build, however. I've seen more of those than I have D3 levels as of late. Maybe this is normal and I'm just not paying enough attention to the development community, but that's just an observation.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:24:56 AM »
I've built some D1 and D2 levels but haven't ventured too deeply into the D3 editor, which appeared much more complex. I'm still interested in it however and my son is as well. We would make use of whatever materials we could aquire to help us.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:43:30 PM »
D3 Editing is much more complex as D1/D2. I made 'tons of D1/D2' most of easy going, finished in short time.
D3Editing was absolutely different, I couldn't transfer any knowledge of D1/D2 building to this new task.
I found out that D3 Anarchy level building was the best way to learn how it works. D3 Single player level building is much more complicated. So if anyone want to start, try simple Anarchy design first. Don't try to create ART, keep it simple and don't use any customs. D3Edit owns enough textures, objects and so on to build fine Anarchy level.
As most here may know, the D3Edit level editor has been updated and became a nice tool full of new features. My basic idea for the last update was to insert some 'make it easy' features, so beginners could start easier. One, or just a few more clicks and you own predefined shapes as cubes, boxes, spheres, cylinders, torus and more. With a little practice you can use them to build rooms or objects. I can't state HOW much has changed since the first D3Edit version came out. And for the needed tutorials, check out the D3EditAV menu Help. There you will find near all online resources about D3Editing. D3Editing isn't easy, but with spending some time with D3EditAV you will be able to create some Art, you just need some time and the will to make it.
Looks like a shameless plug here, but just for example, test-fly through  my 'Blown Starship' level or 'Town of Bree' (the last one was made by Roadrunner, Fischlein and Atan) to see how such custom levels could looks like. There are so much nice looking pieces of Art outside, so why do you think you are not able to produce the same quality? Of course, nice looking Anarchy level are not automatically good playable or game-fun level, keep this in mind. Sometimes you have to build more then xx level before your work is a 'hit'. But why don't you try it? Get up and show the world what you are able to build.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:09:22 AM by Atan »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »
My big problem is as you say. It takes lots of time and patience. But I don't have the time, nor do I apparently have the patience, for I get fed up with D3Edit quite quickly (been awhile since I updated tho).

Big issue is the lack of time. But if that ever changes... ;)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:46:19 PM »
It's not for everybody... and yes, it does get frustrating at times... but the satisfaction when it finally does come together, even little bits, like a custom door, or a model of a ship, is just great!

The initial learning curve is steep, but is does get easier the further you go.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »
I apologise for a thread-revival, but I saw no point in creating a separate topic for the same thing...

Well, count me in for D3Edit users; It's been a while I used that, but I'll brush up fast... Provided that my DALLAS gets into gear! (Please reply to this topic!!)--Edit: Problem solved.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:33:00 AM by Shroudeye »

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »
Ah, D3Edit my old friend, we have been apart for so long I have forgotten what ye look like...
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets