Author Topic: Miner Wars Update  (Read 11396 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Miner Wars Update
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »
London, UK, March 11, 2010 – Keen Software House & Miner Wars development team releases a new alpha video of their current build. The team also announces some really exciting news for people that would like to join the miner wars community.

The new alpha video shows the physics present in the game and it also shows the feature called Solar Wind. Solar wind is basically a wall of fire originating from the sun that will destroy almost everything in its path. Please notice how far the ship was dragged from its original location by the Solar Wind. The barrels have disappeared altogether since they have no thrusters to compensate for the Solar Wind drag.

Furthermore we have added some new features for our community. Anyone participating on the game development will get some goodies in-game and eventually they can attain a free copy of the game and exclusive look at unreleased game content. Some of our community members have already started working towards helping the game and are already receiving medals for game contribution achievements.

Our community is quite a lively place and we would like to invite anyone to come and have a look at http://www.minerwars.com/Forum.aspx

We are still looking for people to help us with game content creation. Modelers, programmers, community management people and people that will help with the game promotion.

Miner Wars is a game made by the community for the community of 6DOF space simulators.

The video can be downloaded directly from: http://www.minerwars.com/Downloads.aspx please right-click on download button and choose save as.

You can also find the video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MinerWars#p/a/u/0/IUjS04jegBg

Keen Software House is also proud to announce that we have published a chapter in a book about game development called GPU Pro: Advanced Rendering Techniques. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/GPU-Pro-Advanced-Rendering-Techniques/dp/1568814720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266696252&sr=8-1 . The chapter speaks of destructible volumetric terrain that we use in our VRAGE for the development of Miner Wars.

Miner Wars is a 6DOF underground and space shooter played in a fully destructible environment and is a combination of single player story game and MMO.

As a player, you operate an advanced mining ship in an open world asteroid belt area. You dig kilometers of tunnels, harvest the ore, travel the solar system, fight your enemies and discover mysterious alien secrets.

Game play is led by an epic story and is a combination of a single/multi-player game, cooperative, or you against everyone.

The story will introduce you to many types of missions: rescue, exploration, revenge, base defense, theft, transportation, stealth, search and destroy, pure harvesting, racing or just flying around and destroying everything you see.

Features:

- 6DOF

- Fully Destructible Environment

- Single Player Story & MMO

- Persistent open world - millions of km

- 15 mission types: Revenge, Mining, Harvesting, Defending, Exploration, Rescue and more

- High quality rendering

Platform: Windows, Xbox 360 Live Arcade

Please visit http://www.MinerWars.com for more information on the game, trailers and pictures.

About Keen Software House Ltd:

Keen Software House Ltd is an independent software development company focused on creating innovative video games. We are passionate gamers, who love developing games and we want to make games that people like to play.

Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Darghan

• Silver
Re: Miner Wars Update
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 06:32:35 AM »
Hey willy,

thx for posting this. Anyone is welcome to visit our forums, discuss the game and contribute.

Darghan

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:18:46 AM »
I could help with modelling on and off (working on another "job") and I would have to be unpaid (under working age.) I would probably have to have more experience anyway.  :P
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:14:01 AM by Darcshadow7 »
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »
I am sure they would appreciate your talent and imagination... and it would be a great experience on your resume.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:00:23 PM »
I don't think anyone really understands just how much I'm looking forward to this game.

I think I'm actually more excited about Miner Wars than I would be at the prospect of a D4. I see so much promise here... And the attention to detail necessary to make a great game is evident in those alpha videos. I will seriously drop 50 bucks in cash for this game when it comes out. Or maybe 100, just to give a friend a piece of the action!  ;D

EDIT: Darc, with the stuff I've seen you do over at ODF, I'm sure they would gladly accept a little bit of your work. After all, three basic models and you've got a free game, according to the Miner Wars site; more than that, and you'll probably have a place on the development team. Your models are fantastic, and like WillyP said, it would look great on a resume!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:18:34 AM by D2Junkie »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:24:37 PM »
Here's an update for you. Darghan said that there will be NO joystick support. That has been a huge paradigm shift for me. That's the second time that I have gonnen excited for a 6DoF game and then crushed. Shattered Horizon, but I lost interest in that because of the no JS, and pretty soon Miner Wars for the same exact reason.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
That's the beauty about learning how to play Descent on both a joystick and just straight keyboard.  ::)

Don't write off a game simply because it doesn't have your preference of control. Sure, I'd like joystick support as much as the next guy, but I probably play Descent more often on keyboard because... well, it's a tad difficult lugging my joystick around the laptop bag. So I just learned to play it on keyboard... Or on mouse. Some of the best Descent players around are mousers.  ;)

And wait, there's another 6DoF game (Shattered Horizon) I don't know about? ::runs off to google::

EDIT: Hot dang, Shattered Horizon looks amazing. 'Tis a shame it requires a Core 2 Duo and a GeForce 8800GT or higher (I have a core 2 duo and a - guess what - GeForce 8600GT card). That may be a "wait until it goes on sale, buy it, and stash it away for when I have that kind of technology" game.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:43:52 PM by D2Junkie »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 03:14:01 PM »
Dan Wentz joins the Minerwars development team. (I hope this isn't a April fools joke).

http://www.minerwars.com/News.aspx

His credits include music for D1 & D2 and has some very cool Desent'ish music on his site.

http://www.danwentz.com/reel.html
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 02:03:17 AM »
If it is an April Fools joke it's a bad one, especially as it names Dan Wentz. I just put up the press release I got yesterday.

Offline Darghan

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:07:14 AM »
Here's an update for you. Darghan said that there will be NO joystick support. That has been a huge paradigm shift for me. That's the second time that I have gonnen excited for a 6DoF game and then crushed. Shattered Horizon, but I lost interest in that because of the no JS, and pretty soon Miner Wars for the same exact reason.

Zero you troll :) I never said there wouldnt be a joystick support! :) I only said that I think that for the game its better when played with a mouse. Again repeating what I already said at BB Joystick will be an option since MANY of the Descent fans already use it and cant live without it. Same goes for many other space sim fans. So yes there IS joystick support.

Offline Darghan

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 03:11:05 AM »
If it is an April Fools joke it's a bad one, especially as it names Dan Wentz. I just put up the press release I got yesterday.

http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=359 lookup the post made by Vertigo and also lookup our Facebook Miner Wars page :)

This is not an april fools joke. Dan has been external for many days now and he decided to join the team on a day to day basis. I am a hardcore space-sim fan. I would never play with these things lightly. Using somebodys name to make a joke is not my style. Being loaded with work on Miner Wars I didnt even notice that I was releasing the PR on April 1st. Seeing it in the air I though OH  fukin SNAP now everybody will think its a joke :D

Offline Darghan

• Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 03:13:31 AM »
Oh and willy. Where is that Q&A you were collecting here on the site? :) Were already making one with Space Sim Central so it might be good if combine them?

http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=350

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 05:13:36 AM »
Here is a list of the questions submitted to me... I think they have all been answered well on your site and in the e-mails you have sent.
  • What is the overarching goal of Keen Software house?
  • What inspired you to develop a massively multiplayer game like Miner Wars?
  • Did Descent, being one of the very few 6DoF games on the market, have any influence in the gameplay direction of Miner Wars?
  • In Miner Wars, will singleplayer missions be in the form of online quests, or will there be separate singleplayer and multiplayer modes?
  • Will Miner Wars be primarily combat-focused, exploration-focused, or will the player be able to determine those choices online as he plays?
  • Will players have the opportunity to upgrade ships and equipment based on progress, or will everyone be on a mostly level playing field throughout their online experience?
  • What other games do you and the development team play? Do any of them have a strong influence on Miner Wars?
  • Does Keen Software House have any plans for additional games in the future?
  • Do you have any interesting stories involving the development of Miner Wars?
  • Is there a schedule for the release of Miner Wars?
  • Will there be joystick support?
  • What form of pricing model will you use, and how much will it cost?

Offline Darghan

• Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 11:02:05 AM »
Questions answered :) Maybe this will help you understand the concept a bit deeper.

Here is a list of the questions submitted to me... I think they have all been answered well on your site and in the e-mails you have sent.
  • What is the overarching goal of Keen Software house?

The goal is to make a game development studio of our dreams. A studio that will hit people with originality and overall quality of ideas. We value some of the most old-school rules of game making.

• What inspired you to develop a massively multiplayer game like Miner Wars?

We were working in our normal jobs and wanted to do something creative and different. This was the only path we could take. And we missed some good Space and 6DOF games lately :)

• Did Descent, being one of the very few 6DoF games on the market, have any influence in the gameplay direction of Miner Wars?

Very strong influence in both the look of some of the ships and in the basic concept tunnel chases and multiplayer gaming. Descent was the no.1 game for many of us when we were young lads.

• In Miner Wars, will singleplayer missions be in the form of online quests, or will there be separate singleplayer and multiplayer modes?

Both. These will be connected. You will be able to play single-player and invite your buddy to help you with a story mission.

• Will Miner Wars be primarily combat-focused, exploration-focused, or will the player be able to determine those choices online as he plays?

Sanbox in all respects.

• Will players have the opportunity to upgrade ships and equipment based on progress, or will everyone be on a mostly level playing field throughout their online experience?

Yes totally for upgrades. One of the games we also value highly is Privateer and Freelancer. It will not be something like 3 months of grinding and doing repetitive missions to be able to compete with other players. We aim more for diversity in your playstyle. You will be able to get to a decent level with your ship in a short period of time. Rest will be on your skill.

• What other games do you and the development team play? Do any of them have a strong influence on Miner Wars?

All space sim and sci-fi that you can find - aside from that Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Mount and Blade.

• Does Keen Software House have any plans for additional games in the future?

Yes totally we are working on a good number of projects for mobile platforms and Xbox 360.

• Do you have any interesting stories involving the development of Miner Wars?

LOL cant think of any right now. Only that we love our community and we welcome everyone that wants to participate on making the game with us. We wever thinking deeply about involving the community in the game and we found that there is so much hunger and unused potential that it just has to be used. It will be a game made by the people for the people.

• Is there a schedule for the release of Miner Wars?

Wed love to give you something but we cant yet. But you can expect some major things coming in the next moths.

• Will there be joystick support?

Oh not this one again :D Yes of course there WILL BE JOY SUPPORT we are making the game also for XBOX 360 the console does not have a mouse.

• What form of pricing model will you use, and how much will it cost?

Cost will be in the lower levels around 25-30 USD. Pricing model is not yet decided but were definitely not going for monthly payments.

Thx for your questions guys :)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »
Will Descent veterans get discounts at the shops?  ;D
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets