Author Topic: Miner Wars: New Alpha Video  (Read 4635 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Miner Wars: New Alpha Video
« on: February 25, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

From the Miner Wars website:
Quote from: Tomas Psenicka
This Video features the current cockpit, basic hud, basic targeting and a rear view from the ship. It also features me making a tunnel and reaching an area in the asteroid where there is ice.
Notice that the fragments of the broken astetoids also interact with the ship. Also if you hit the fragment with a rocket then it exlodes. So be careful when firing too much in the tunnels :).
This is first of the series of videos of gameplay features that we will be publishing roughly every week. The aim is to show you how our game is progressing and how close we actually are to the single-player beta release of our game.

Miner Wars' YouTube Video Channel

Miner Wars is a new 6dof game by Keen Software, currently in development. From the looks of this video the game should be awesome. Take a look at the Miner War's website.

I have been offered an interview... if you have any suggestions for questions, post them here!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:34:52 PM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline S13driftAZ

• Silver
  • I suck at descent
    • DescentBB Profile
Re: Miner Wars: New Alpha Video
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:12:22 PM »
Duuuude! this is amazing!
If only i could buy you a beer for this find!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 08:56:04 AM »
Neat, destroyable environment. I like how the rock surfaces changes in colors and patterns as you go deeper into that asteroid (showing that you're finding different ores in the asteroid). Get a lot of Descent vibes from that cockpit, too. ;)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
I have a feeling that multiplayer battles will be EPIC TO THE EPIC'ST. A video such as this one deserves my utmost neologizing.  :P

Things that impressed me about this video:
  • Graphics. These graphics are BOSS. Exactly what I'd expect vaporizing solid space-rock to look like in real time. I love the reflective quality of the textures and the extremely realistic bumpmapping. Excellent work on these indeed.
  • Scale. That asteroid looks pretty small to begin with, but once you get up close, it's really quite massive. I see potential for many long tunnels and huge indoor caverns to battle in... Descent with a constantly variable environment? I like it!  ;D
  • Sound. I really like the fact that the sounds in this video are on par with Freespace 2. There's no point in shooting stuff if you don't get a satisfying "THUD" followed by a bone-crunching bass pop. This certainly has it in there.

Things that DIDN'T impress me about this video:
  • Cockpit. It's a little anemic at this point, but that's not necessarily a bad thing since the game is still in development [hell]. There was very little, if any, information presented to the player (ammo, sheilds, hull, etc).
  • Crosshair. While I think that the horizontal bar delineating the current bank is a nice touch, the crosshair itself could use just a bit of tweaking. It serves its purpose, no doubt, but perhaps if it had a circle or light on it to distinguish what gun is firing a la Descent, it'd be a bit more useful.

Overall, I'd have to say that this alpha video is 95% WIN.  ;D
[/list]
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:01:54 PM »
Yeah, I think that cockpit is still in development, as it feels very incomplete to me. That, and the fact that the last video I saw of this game didn't even have a cockpit pretty much sets it in stone.

Quote from: D2Junkie
I see potential for many long tunnels and huge indoor caverns to battle in... Descent with a constantly variable environment? I like it!

I hadn't even thought of that! Dang, this game is looking better and better with each passing moment. 8)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
Ok... so the deal is... I received a very long e-mail from Tomas and asked him instead for a brief press release I could post to the news here... He offered to do an interview instead. So, check the Miner wars site out and post your questions!

Here is what I have so far:

Submitted by NUMBERZero:
Will there be full joy stick support?
Will custom logos be allowed?
Did Descent, the first truely 6DoF game, influance the development of this game?

From D2Junkie:
    * What is the overarching goal of Keen Software house?
    * What inspired you to develop a massively multiplayer game like Miner Wars?
    * Of course, with myself being a fan of Descent, I can't help but be thrilled with the announcement of a 6DoF MMO. Did Descent, being one of the very few 6DoF games on the market, have any influence in the gameplay direction of Miner Wars?
    * In Miner Wars, will singleplayer missions be in the form of online quests, or will there be separate singleplayer and multiplayer modes?
    * Will Miner Wars be primarily combat-focused, exploration-focused, or will the player be able to determine those choices online as he plays?
    * Will players have the opportunity to upgrade ships and equipment based on progress, or will everyone be on a mostly level playing field throughout their online experience?
    * What other games do you and the development team play? Do any of them have a strong influence on Miner Wars?
    * Does Keen Software House have any plans for additional games in the future?
    * Do you have any interesting stories involving the development of Miner Wars?
    * Is there a schedule for the release of Miner Wars?
    * It's been a pleasure to have the opportunity for an interview with you. Any other comments you would like to add?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets