Author Topic: D3 won't start on school computers, error message  (Read 8642 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: D3 won't start on school computers, error message
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »
That might be fun...

... Except for the part about, ya know, a flagrant HIPAA violation of epic proportions and subsequently the expulsion, arrest, and impending litigation you'd inevitably receive.  ::)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act??? Had to Google HIPAA...

The HIPAA Privacy Standards require physicians to protect the privacy of patients' medical information.

How does that relate?

Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 09:43:28 AM »
Strange how D1/D2 will run but D3 won't. I'm playing them directly from the flash drive. I don't really want to haxx the computers, but whatever.
D3 needs access to the HKLM registry hive while D1 and D2 don't even know there's a registry.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 09:46:10 AM »
The ability to use that method to get in with Administrator rights is pretty strong evidence that the tech support for that particular school is ... pathetic if not totally non-existent.... and I'm being nice.
I wouldn't worry about this.
Many school computers allow this. As soon as the machine is rebooted everything's gone anyway.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
The ability to use that method to get in with Administrator rights is pretty strong evidence that the tech support for that particular school is ... pathetic if not totally non-existent.... and I'm being nice.

I wouldn't worry about this.
Many school computers allow this. As soon as the machine is rebooted everything's gone anyway.

Normally I'd agree that it isn't anything to worry about ... but he was able to access stuff that had been there a while.  Products like Deep Freeze (which restores/preserves systems like you described) would have erased those files, plus it is evident the school took some security steps (though insufficient).     If they were using something like Deep Freeze, they'd have no need to do the extra security steps.

I doubt his school using using anything like that ... currently.   But maybe they will after this?

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
[offtopic]

Sorry. I'm getting confused about HIPAA, WillyP. There is something extremely similar for schools, basically making it illegal to tell anyone anything about anybody without breaking a law. If there is any identifier ("Johnny was sent to detention today...") at all in the description, it's a huge infraction. It's incredible. A security breach in a school computer allowing the download of a student's photo ID from a database would put that school, as well as NUMBERZero, under serious scrutiny. My mother was a substitute teacher. It's illegal to tell other teachers about another student's behavior, according to her training. A leaked picture could possibly cost school faculty their jobs.

That said, this may actually be a part of HIPAA. It's a huge act, and it entails more than just health insurance. I know that, where I work, I am bound by HIPAA to the letter and I have no part in healthcare. Pretty much anybody who uses computers with potentially sensitive information about health or information is supposed to be bound by HIPAA.

[/offtopic]
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 05:12:04 AM »
Ok, that sounds right, I didn't read in depth.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets