Author Topic: Error Message on Descent 3  (Read 4758 times)

Offline gene

• Silver
Error Message on Descent 3
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
Hi,

When I installed Descent 3 on my second computer (with Windows XP), I couldn't open or play the game because I got an error message that says: "Failure to Initialize keyboard System".

Does anybody know what is going on?  Is there any way I can correct the problem?

Thanks ahead of time. :)

Gene.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: Error Message on Descent 3
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 05:53:36 AM »
Welcome to Planet Descent, Gene!  ;D

I'm not sure I've ever run into any "failure to initialize keyboard system" errors. Are you installing from a gog.com installation file, or a regular set of discs?

If you're coming from a gog.com installer, make sure that the file is intact as it does its file integrity checks. If the file is corrupted, you may need to download it again and re-install (of course, make sure to remove the existing installation of D3 first).

If you're using a regular set of discs, you'll want to make sure you're copy is up-to-date, especially if you have the "dual-jewel" set. The "dual-jewel" set was basically D3 and D3: Mercenary bundled together in a jewel-case sized package. I bought mine from Wal-Mart, and got all sorts of interesting errors until I looked online and found an update specifically for that. Also, make sure you're currently at 1.4 (NOT 1.5. Some Descent websites and forums offer an unfinished version 1.5 download. Actually, three of the makers of Descent are currently working on finishing the actual product).  These are all available (with the exception of 1.5, of course) from planetdescent.com.

If all of this fails, try running XP in compatibility mode for something such as Windows 98 (right click on icon, properties -> compatibility), because XP SP3's optimization for multi-core processors could be throwing something off in your machine. But if nothing else works, you might simply try a re-install.

Anybody run into this problem before and want to add anything?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:58:48 AM by D2Junkie »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »
I've never heard of the keyboard issue either... You don't perhaps have some keyboard type that D3 may not know about, like a bluetooth or something? (just a wild guess... don't know if a bluetooth would be a problem or not!)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline gene

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 05:15:03 PM »
D2Junkie and WillyP,

Thanks for your help.  I'll try your suggestions.  I'm hardly a computer guy.  I can play the games, but when it comes to the technical stuff and problem-solving, I'm slow.

Thanks once more.
Gene. :)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 04:52:16 AM »
I'm sorry we don't have a definitive answer for you, if you are still having problems you might also try the DescentBB.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »
Does anybody know what is going on?  Is there any way I can correct the problem?

I think I do.

You made this message up. Neither Descent 3 nor Windows XP know this error message.

None of the D3 or XP resource files contain a message even distantly related to the one you claim to have seen.

Google's not heard of it either.

What's that tell us?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »
That may not be so.  What makes you think he's using a Windows system? (other than the fact he indicated applying the 1.4 patch helped)

That error message is usually associated with a known bug with XORG, which is the base of the graphical environment for Linux systems using X11, which is usually used with Gnome desktop type Linux distros.  He never told us that he was using Windows and could be using a Windows emulator/environment on a Linux system ... or the Linux version/setup of Descent 3 ... and the error could be generated when trying to initiate the graphical system for Descent.

I don't think he made up the error.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 09:00:24 PM »
That may not be so.  What makes you think he's using a Windows system? (other than the fact he indicated applying the 1.4 patch helped)

The very first two lines in this entire thread.

That error message is usually associated with a known bug with XORG
If that message was known to any operating system on this planet there were internet search engines that would spit out at least something distantly similar.

But don't worry, I think I know what caused the error message and where it's coming from. I hope all the other answers help Gene to get it going...

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 10:12:26 PM »
If that message was known to any operating system on this planet there were internet search engines that would spit out at least something distantly similar.

But don't worry, I think I know what caused the error message and where it's coming from. I hope all the other answers help Gene to get it going...

Do a search for "Failure to Initialize keyboard" (leave off the word "System", it's a variable part of the error message) and you'll get a lot more hits.  Example

Yeah, I hope he got it going too.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets