Author Topic: Kevin Bently Working on 1.5 Patch for d3, Video of D3 Netplay on Linux, Mac  (Read 15954 times)

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
Re: Kevin Bently Working on 1.5 Patch for d3, Video of D3 Netplay on Linux, Mac
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »
The only significant update that I know of that 1.5 did was to fix the 3rd objective not being completed after completing it in Level 13. On the other hand, I heard that it just adds more bugs!

Not so long ago I tried this 1.5 version (maybe 6 months). It does fix the -mission bug of which I think is vital for a missions folder containing around 750 missions.

The rest of that "patch" is a nightmare. ;-)

With StartSP (http://www.dateiliste.com/en/descent-3/6-descent-3-files-section/74-startsp-a-wrapper-for-qdescent-3exeq.html) the -mission bug is not fixed but it makes it bearable.

As far as I remember there's only one server that pops up every once in a while that runs 1.5.
It would be ideal if we could currently switch between the versions, but the differences are too big.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 04:30:32 PM »
Outside and space flight characteristics idea.

Your main thruster power has been inreased to it's full power. Why it is not at full power when indoors is because of a safety precaution. The ship does not want you hammering into a wall [In space or in the atmo, if you crash into something, your vision will be distorted, momentarily stunned, unable to move and you lose shields]. Your sliding will not be as effective because your anti-gravity drive does not have anything stable to push off of, but the closer you get to a large object, the more effective it becomes to help you push away from that object if you want to.

Well, that would be cool, but then it wouldn't be Descent 3 anymore. Over-realism kills games

Have you been in an outdoors fight? They are stupid! I was tussling with someone for 7 min. I was getting real close. I could see his ship starting to short until BAM! Wabbit took my kill. I then had a grudge against Wabbit for a while.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 06:12:18 PM »
If you don't like that then go play games designed for such gameplay. Descent III obviously isn't.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 06:52:35 PM »
Well, then that's one thing that we can tweak to make it better.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 05:30:55 PM »
That's what I was thinking, tweak D3 to improve on those outdoor areas so that they're a little bit more bearable. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline S13driftAZ

• Silver
  • I suck at descent
    • DescentBB Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »
Have you been in an outdoors fight? They are stupid! I was tussling with someone for 7 min. I was getting real close. I could see his ship starting to short until BAM! Wabbit took my kill. I then had a grudge against Wabbit for a while.
Me and my pops played 1v1's in outdoor levels for years. Its called widening out in your skills. Not that I have any of course, but I learned how to do some serious dogfighting. Uninterrupted.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 04:32:38 AM »
I think the big issue with outdoor MP levels is not going to be solved with hacks to the source code, but with level designers building levels that are more fun outdoors. Most outdoor multiplayer levels are just too big and too open.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »
What zero seems to want is more dogfighting-like phyisics. Less sliding and more thrust forward. (which would completly kill D3 and I would never play such mods)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 04:41:22 AM »
Well that goes back to the level design. Most, maybe all, outdoor MP levels are just too big and open. If you build a large open area, then try to add obstacles, you can run up the face count very quickly and bog the game. So you need to build a small area to begin with and keep the face count of whatever structures you add down. Thee speed of the ship is only an issue when you need to cross a large area with no cover. Then someone you are not even aware of can hit you with an MD or a homer from clear across the map and you never see it coming. Even some of the popular indoor maps suffer from this effect to a lesser extent.

The best maps are the ones that balance some larger rooms with small ones and interconnecting tunnels. Subway Dancer, Skybox, and most of the more popular levels for anarchy are essentially a number of dog-fighting rooms connected in this manner. Indika has rather small dog-fighting rooms, but same idea. There are lots of corners to dodge around. That's not true in the outdoor levels. A faster ship would help but I don't think a reasonable speed increase would help enough.

Anyway, if you want to increase the speed of the ship you don't need source code to do that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:43:03 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »
I think a super problem is that the weapons are too slow. They should go faster outside or AT LEAST use parent speed. Sure, everyone can mod their .gam, but a patch would be a sweeping thing for everyone.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
Sure, everyone can mod their .gam, but a patch would be a sweeping thing for everyone.

that isn't the intention of 1.5

Offline S13driftAZ

• Silver
  • I suck at descent
    • DescentBB Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 04:24:11 PM »
I think a super problem is that the weapons are too slow. They should go faster outside or AT LEAST use parent speed. Sure, everyone can mod their .gam, but a patch would be a sweeping thing for everyone.
I'm starting to think me and zero have nothing in common in our personalities

Anyways, I think this patch should be resolving more important matters like not crashing all the dang time while I play online. What the hell is wrong with kernel32.dll that makes it so that whenever there is some epic chaos happening, it crashes?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 07:02:42 AM »
S13Drift has a good point. As much as it'd be neat, the 1.5 patch should really focus on fixing D3's most prevalent bugs first and foremost.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »
I understand that now. Fix the bugs (isn't D3 one big bug? :P).

If we are extremely lucky, I'd like1.6 to contain gameplay improvements.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 01:31:20 PM »
If we are extremely lucky, I'd like1.6 to contain gameplay improvements.

Code: [Select]
/me begins counting how many users that'd annoy

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets