Author Topic: Kevin Bently Working on 1.5 Patch for d3, Video of D3 Netplay on Linux, Mac  (Read 15944 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
For more info, visit this thread at the DBB. To make a long story short, Matt Toscshlog, Jeff Slutter and Kevin Bently are working on the 1.5 patch, for users of Windows, Linux and Mac. And releasing the source, too. Here
is a video
made by Kevin Bentley showing D3 on two Macs and a Linux machine playing together in a net game. And, hey, there is also a new post at http://www.descent3.com/!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:25:39 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.

... And that is all.  ;D ;D ;D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
That pretty much sums it up right there. What else is there to be said? :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
I am sure someone will think of something.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
We'll be getting the source code eventually. That means hackers like me can see how D3 works and work upon it

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
We seriously need to reinvent D3. There are so many things that we can change. Maybe something that changes the physics when you go outside that makes the ship fly like a fighter and goes faster (idea below). Space even! You could recreate the space assault on the CED Station that was told in the Descent books! Import all of the old D1/D2 bots! Old weapons! A D3X-XL! (just don't let Karx make that before us ;) But of course we cannot take the name)

Outside and space flight characteristics idea.

Your main thruster power has been inreased to it's full power. Why it is not at full power when indoors is because of a safety precaution. The ship does not want you hammering into a wall [In space or in the atmo, if you crash into something, your vision will be distorted, momentarily stunned, unable to move and you lose shields]. Your sliding will not be as effective because your anti-gravity drive does not have anything stable to push off of, but the closer you get to a large object, the more effective it becomes to help you push away from that object if you want to.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:52:54 PM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline S13driftAZ

• Silver
  • I suck at descent
    • DescentBB Profile
We seriously need to reinvent D3. There are so many things that we can change. Maybe something that changes the physics when you go outside that makes the ship fly like a fighter and goes faster (idea below). Space even! You could recreate the space assault on the CED Station that was told in the Descent books! Import all of the old D1/D2 bots! Old weapons! A D3X-XL! (just don't let Karx make that before us ;) But of course we cannot take the name)

Outside and space flight characteristics idea.

Your main thruster power has been inreased to it's full power. Why it is not at full power when indoors is because of a safety precaution. The ship does not want you hammering into a wall [In space or in the atmo, if you crash into something, your vision will be distorted, momentarily stunned, unable to move and you lose shields]. Your sliding will not be as effective because your anti-gravity drive does not have anything stable to push off of, but the closer you get to a large object, the more effective it becomes to help you push away from that object if you want to.

Well, that would be cool, but then it wouldn't be Descent 3 anymore. Over-realism kills games

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
I'll be blunt -- outer space enviroments and introducing book elements are very, VERY low on the list of things I want to look at. Besides, hunter's already given us a good enough space

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
But having the source code would make it that much easier to make those space fights, wouldn't it? ;)

And I'm interested in this space fight on a CED station idea...

But like always, I think I'll wait and see what comes up. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Blackwolf454

• Silver
  • Ben
    • Youtube  page
I download the 1.5 patch but I can't get it to work with Descent 3 for some reason
Prepare for Descent

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: Kevin Bently Working on 1.5 Patch for d3, Video of D3 Netplay on Linux, Mac
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 11:34:58 AM »
It's interesting you mention that, Blackwolf. A "1.5" patch has been around for quite a while now (and even mods such as Pyromania are built off this "patch"). Fact is, it's unauthorized, as the patch was never actually released. It's actually the developer's property, and therefore the legality of this "1.5 patch" circulating the internet is questionable at best. However, said developers are working on releasing the actual 1.5 patch sometime in the near future (to which WillyP is referring and linking to). That will be the official (and legal) 1.5 release.

Until then, 1.4 is the final authorized build of D3, so stick with that. I know you'll see 1.5 patches everywhere, and I highly doubt it's even worth Matt's, Kevin's, and Jeff's time to file a lawsuit with anyone. Still, 1.4 is what everyone uses online, and is considered to be the most up-to-date version of D3.  :)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »
I don't think anyone cares about the legality of the 1.5 patch anymore, but what was released was unfinished and as buggy as the original game. 1.4 isn't perfect either, but better than 1.5, and most net games are on the 1.4.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »
The only significant update that I know of that 1.5 did was to fix the 3rd objective not being completed after completing it in Level 13. On the other hand, I heard that it just adds more bugs!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 08:19:42 AM »
It's interesting you mention that, Blackwolf. A "1.5" patch has been around for quite a while now (and even mods such as Pyromania are built off this "patch"). Fact is, it's unauthorized, as the patch was never actually released.
You're confusing "unauthorized" and "never actually released", or let's better say you make both statements identical. This is wrong.

Its release was very well approved and authorized. Sure, it was released as being not the final release, but everything else had ceased anyway.

Aenn's based Pyromania on a version he had the permission to use.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 08:51:58 AM »
Thanks for the correction. I had always been told it was never authorized for download and was thus technically a break in end-user agreements. My apologies.  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets