Author Topic: Serious bandwidth!  (Read 5367 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Serious bandwidth!
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:00:45 AM »

What kind of connection speed is this?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:02:26 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Serious bandwidth!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
You know, now that you mention it ... I'd bet it's some serious bandwidth. 

Especially when you keep in mind that:
1) Can't just walk up and plug in a USB flash drive, you gotta bring your whole ship.
2) Obviously too much data to simply send by email (like in the show "Chuck" ::)) or by standard or private communication lines.   No, ya gotta bring the whole dang ship.
3) You don't hook up a cable.  No, it's beamed from your ship from four directions with large enough beams to light up the whole cockpit of the ship from any of the four directions.  Plus, ya had to bring the whole dang ship.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:23:05 PM »
Lotta data there. Don't forget the beam that goes up, too. Too much for a floppy. Gotta bring yer whole dang ship.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:51:41 PM »
Yeah! Bring you ship! Don't bring in the big obvious tanker that you flew straight into the CED's hanger on the moon. The CED is only the most powerful military force of the Sol System so it shouldn't be possible to park in the parking lot with some small personal craft with correct identification, tags and fuzzy dice, send in someone's cousin 5 times removed that nobody knows, hand Suzuki a 1GB flash drive with the thinned down data with the relevent data, walk out, get back in the ship, get into orbit, activate warpcore with coordinates to somewhere else, but instead follows sub-coordinates to get back into Mars orbit, head back to Red Acropolis, grab a taxi home, and go to bed.

It's too complicated so they had to sneak you into the Subway of Doom, go through the city of non infected robots doing their job, cause an unGodly ammount of property damage, fly through the "Sewers of suspicious Pee That Can Burn Through Shields and Armor" (@_@), destroy more of the city and PTMC property, upload 1 Terratrillion (real word? :P ) Terrabytes of data in a conviently made lobby that can fit a ship through the front door and handle said ship uploading 1 Terratrillion Terrabytes of data, destroy 2 mercenary pilots, miss a secret 3rd one that is supposively supposed to be the one to plant the bomb, but was overuled by the mercenary in Descent 3 Mercenary, head home, watch the news, and have all hell break lose.

XD
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:25:36 AM »
Dang, that sounds like fun. I wish someone made a game like that.  :o
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:03:06 AM »
and have all hell break lose.

That was my favorite part.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:09:40 AM »
Mine too. You should've known it wouldn't be that easy, anyway. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 05:39:48 PM »
And the server to which the data was uploaded looks like a nuclear reactor that could power a telecommunications/broadband switchboard the size of the state of Kansas.

And you had to bring yer whole dang ship!  ;D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 07:19:08 PM »
Mine too. You should've known it wouldn't be that easy, anyway. :P

Heh, I always expected in level 2 that the rescue would somehow go SERIOUSLY wrong and you would have to correct it :P

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:06:30 AM »
Yeah, otherwise it wouldn't have been much of a game. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets