Author Topic: Looking for a Descent 3 Pilot Pic making tool  (Read 6565 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Looking for a Descent 3 Pilot Pic making tool
« on: January 10, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »
Darc tried making a pilot pic for me, but was unsucessful. I want to try and give it a shot. Where can I find a tool?

Thanks!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Looking for a Descent 3 Pilot Pic making tool
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »
Apilot Pic is the pic that shows up when a pilot plays an audio taunt. Your pic has to be in a file, then everyone downloads the file. the last time the file was updated was , like five years ago. Sorry. You missed it. (by that much)

Unless you mean a ships logo. A pic that goes on your ship. The pic needs to be a certain size and format, then you convert it in D3 and apply it to your ship. IIRC, there are instructions on how to do that on PD (.com)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »
Yes it is the pilot pic. Darc said that he had a way, but oh well.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:30:44 PM »
Currently there is only ONE way to get a "Pilot pic" that all the players see.

It requires just one thing in order to it to "work" ... and that is:  Your Pilot Name needs to be an exact match to a Pilot Name that is in the pilot pics file (PPICS.HOG) provided with the game.

There has been two times (AFAIK) that the ppics.hog file has been "updated" with additional pilot pics since the game was released.  Currently, your best bet for obtaining the updated ppics.hog file is by going to the Descent 3 Miscellaneous Modifications files on PlanetDescent.com.

NOTES:
1) If you find a Pilot name that is in the ppics.hog file ... it's already belongs to somebody because the Pilot names were collected from players and compiled into the ppics.hog file.
2) Is the person who first had the Pilot name still using it?  Will you see that person online?  Might that person now be using a different Pilot name? ... All of these could easily be answered:  YES.
3) If the Pilot name is now longer being used, or the original pilot for that name is not actively playing ... is it OK to use that Pilot's name?   Maybe.  Good chance of other players objecting to you using a known player's name.
4) If I replace my ppics.hog file with the updated ppics.hog, will others see the Pilot pic that matches the Pilot name I'm using?  ... Only if they also have the same ppics.hog file installed, or if the pilot pic is "old enough" that it exists in their ppics.hog file as well.

When it gets right down to it, usually most Descent players ignore the pilot pics because it's too difficult to get a suitable match (that everyone's happy with) ... and it doesn't really add much to the gameplay.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
XD

I discovered that a while ago when my name used to be Zero. I never knew that there was already a pilot named Zero before I added NUMBER and after I had downloaded the file. I had clicked on Pilot Pics after I had downloaded the file and found something that looked like a Japanese guy! IDK if it was THE Zero, but... It was funny! What a coincidence!  ::)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:09:29 AM »
I found it a little annoying and distracting anyway. On the rare occasion it worked, that is. I didn't bother using it after the first time. In fact, I don't even use the taunts anymore.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets