Author Topic: Interplay Litigation Victory  (Read 3642 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Interplay Litigation Victory
« on: December 16, 2009, 07:14:10 AM »
I did not feel like this needed to make the front page news, but I would like to tell everyone of some good news.

I can't provide a source, but I did notice that on a Russian MDK site (in my search to figure out what the heck "MDK" stood for), there was a short abstract about Interplay's current litigation problems with Bethesda. In short, Bethesda's lawsuit against Interplay's selling the "Fallout Trilogy" which includes "Fallout," "Fallout 2," and "Fallout: Tactics." Bethesda essentially said that Interplay was intentionally misleading customers by selling a "Trilogy," which sounded like it would include "Fallout," "Fallout 2," and "Fallout 3." The judge threw the case out and allowed Interplay to resume selling the "Fallout Trilogy" freely and keep all profits made from its sale. The "Fallout Trilogy" is currently available in stores now.

According to the Russian site, Interplay's "Fallout Trilogy" has sold fairly well and has boosted Interplay's funds greatly, though I cannot confirm this.

Interplay has since released "Legendary Wars: T-Rex Rumble" for the Nintendo DSi. Their classic, "Earthworm Jim," is also now in HD graphics and has been made available for the iPod touch and iPhone.
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
Re: Interplay Litigation Victory
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 07:44:08 AM »
* PyroJockey dreams of new Descent ;)
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »
Please tell me that that game is making sales. They need the money.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:45:58 AM »
I can see Betheda's point... it could be confusing... but if Interplay owns the right to sell the contents of 'Trilogy' then any name they applied to it would be the same. So if they renamed it, say 'tri-pack' or 'First three games' then anyone who is going to be confused, will be anyway.

Or something like that.

Getting that decided in their favor is definitly a good thing for Interplay.

* WillyP  dreams of new Descent, too. ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:27:40 PM »
Yes! There's hope still! :D
* Scyphi dreams of new Descent game as well, and thinks we like this new little forum trick too much. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Zantor

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 03:28:22 PM »
To be honest, a new Descent game would be great, but I would see a FreeSpace 3 to be more profitable.

Offline S13driftAZ

• Silver
  • I suck at descent
    • DescentBB Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 09:31:18 PM »
*Austin is elated to hear this good bit of news

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:11:58 AM »
Quote from: Zantor
To be honest, a new Descent game would be great, but I would see a FreeSpace 3 to be more profitable.

On this, I have to disagree. If built well, and marketed well and correctly, I can totally see a D4 selling big (I've been putting a lot of thought into that). The only problem with that is that it's Interplay. They've been well known for not making the best of choices...or the best of marketing deals...or, on occasion, the best games, particularly if it's a "make money fast" deal. :|

For now, we'll just have to wait and see.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets