Author Topic: It's already here??  (Read 3673 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
It's already here??
« on: December 18, 2009, 08:05:44 AM »
Sometimes it amazes me how things can creep up on you. Just recently, after finishing my last final, I got this question: "What do you want for Christmas?" from my parents, my brother, and my girlfriend.

I didn't know quite how to respond.

After all, I hadn't thought much about it. I had everything I needed and have been to busy to use a lot of things I have lying around. My life had been deadline after deadline for months, so the thought of having some new "toy" to monkey around with sounded cool, but what would I get? A few days after New Year's, it would most likely be doomed to sit in a closet and collect dust, along with most of the other junk I had.

A new Joystick? Nah, the Saitek I have works fine, and doesn't get much use anyway during school. A new mouse/keyboard? No, I have a logitech laser mouse and keyboard that are fantastic for both productivity and gaming. A new printer? I've got a top of the line business-class printer lying at home I can't even figure out what to do with. A new camera? I never take pictures, and I'm a musician, not a photographer. A new guitar part/accessory? I've got the sound I want; why would I change? Dang. What a decision.

So then it hit me. Surprise me! It's been so long since anyone has done that for me anyway. I didn't care with what. Practical stuff would be great. Tools, clothes, whatever. Just get me something you don't think I've got.

So what package are you looking forward to shaking on Christmas Eve? What is it that you're wanting? Or are you the type that really just wants to relax and hang with the family? Let us in!
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
Re: It's already here??
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
I kept asking Santa for a TIG welder, but it never came.

This Christmas I've asked for nothing. My wife of 25 years was diagnosed with lung cancer early this year. As far as lung cancer goes, we were lucky and it was caught early, a stage 1a, which is very unusual for lung cancer. They removed one lobe of her lung last summer. The cancer had not yet spread and she was declared “surgically cured” and required no chemo or radiation. She still has to fully recover from the surgery and she will always get short of breath sooner than before (she was a runner).  But still having her around (for at least another 25 years I hope) is the best Christmas present I could have asked for.

Not being greedy, but a TIG welder would still be cool.  ;D
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:08:46 AM »
Various books.

Not really asking for much, really. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:51:31 AM »
I dont really want anything.  :-X
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 09:17:38 AM »
I have noticed that as we get older, we do no not need as much as we used to, but I'm not that way this year. What I want is a laptop (but money is pretty tight so I will have to buy one myself), the new Star Trek movie, and Dad's computer to run Descent 2! (I will make a topic reguarding that in the technical board)

EDIT: And I want a webcam and a virtual reality headset. It's for FSX so that I can look all over using my head instead of the laggy hatswitch when the FPS is down. But if I can't really use the VR goggles for anything else, then forget it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:07:31 PM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets