Author Topic: Screen Fail.  (Read 5358 times)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
Screen Fail.
« on: October 15, 2009, 07:44:06 PM »
This is one interesting level flaw. The screen half exists on two different cubes!

Submitted By Zantor.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:41:51 PM by WillyP »
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: Screen Fail.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 03:15:49 AM »
I once accidently did that with a light in D2. I had to replace it with a undestroyable one.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:13:20 AM »
It's a common problem you run into with texture alignment with stretched cubes. As such, I've learned that the best thing to do with stretched cubes is to not put destroyable textures on them, or at least find some way to minimize this problem as much as possible (like using a smaller overlay texture).

Still, it can be fun to just leave those as is, as they do look interesting to see the screen with one side working and one side broke. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 06:42:12 AM »
You could build a whole level based on strange in game phenomenon.

For example the third level of my -factor series has a section where exterior walls are textured with a certain force-field. It's kinda like a fun-house of mirrors due to the hall of mirrors effect on the other side of the force-field.

The trick is to take advantage of this sorta thing and use it creatively.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 06:44:26 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:21:44 AM »
Ah yes...the hall of mirrors effect...always fun to toy with. :)

Unfortunately, D2X-XL doesn't render that effect, and neither does Rebirth, if memory serves.  :(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:54:45 PM »
If someone makes a level made completely out of mirrors. That would be awesome.  :o
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 02:16:44 PM »
That would be difficult, as D3 only allows 1 mirror per room. However, the 'Hall of Mirrors Effect' refers to what you get when you venture outside a level. Not good, I can assure you! But I found you can get some weird effects without being actually outside the level. This is because the force-field texture has some visibility through it and some unique properties.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 07:15:12 PM »
Makes you wish we had D3's stupid code just to make that great sounding level.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 08:42:45 AM »
There's a very good reason D3 only allows one mirror per room: continuous reflections (e.g. even just two mirrors facing each other) can be very taxing on the program and renderer.  The re-re-re-reflections could cause framerates to drop dramatically.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »
Howdy! Welcome to PD! You can make a new topic and tell us about yourself, if you want.  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets