Author Topic: Problem hosting any Descent server  (Read 5819 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Problem hosting any Descent server
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »
D1/2/3. One day I am able to host games just fine. The next, none of my games are able to be seen. Could it be that I have too many different ports forwarded for one IP address? I have 15 on the same one.

(8 are for a failed attempt at playing MechWarrior 4 Mercs online even after following instructions to the pixle in every letter. 4 are for Descent. 1 is for anther program, and 1 is for something that I don't need and I should get rid of.......just incase you were wondering. :) )

Help please?
Thank you!

And on an off topic note, I got a new video card and I was wondering if that means that I can run FRAPS at a higher FPS.
Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:37:35 PM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Zantor

• Silver
Re: Problem hosting any Descent server
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:47:38 PM »
It's either issues with the dedi servers reporting to trackers, or your ISP caught on and cut it off. Some ISPs don't like users hosting servers of any sort; check the fine print of use agreements and terms of service of your ISP for details.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:10:47 AM »
If you have all the correct ports forwarded, and the tracker configs correct... then make sure you give the trackers enough time to pick up the games.  Remember that the trackers periodically reset, and sometimes it takes a little while before dedi games show up.

Otherwise, Zantor is correct - your ISP may have some server-blocking in place for residential service IPs.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »
Interesting thing is that one of the forwarded ports that I need in order to see the MW4 games works. Why would the router be able to distinguish between what is game and what is not and would block the game?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »
If it's a ISP problem you can likely call them up and verify that. They don't really just block certain packets, but rather entire ports. Can you connect and host over different ports?

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 04:24:47 PM »
Wait a sec.... You said your servers show up some days but not others, right?

My guess:  You don't have the server machine on a static ip, so the port-forwarding is incorrect on some days.

For example:  ports 2092-2095 are forwarded to 192.168.1.102... but on some days the server gets a different local IP from your router (like 192.168.1.105).

The fix for that is to put your server machine on a static IP, so the forwarding is always correct.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:26:22 PM by Foil »

Offline Zantor

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
You can set a static IP outside the DHCP range, or use DHCP reservation on the router. I use DHCP reservation because it reduces the likelihood of IP address collisions.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »
super bump

Alright, so here's an update. I was able to sucessfully host games again after resetting the router a bizillion times. Now it has crapped out again even after resetting it 2 bazillion times. I was looking around Google and I came accross something called bridge mode. Would that work?

Now maybe about the firewall. Is there someplace that allows certain ports through the firewall? If they are already forwarded, shouldn't that mean that they should be through the wall?

Running Vista and I am tired of typing into google "Vista" and it comes up with a buttload of XP.

Could you please help me again?
Thanks!

[funny story]
ISP said talk to the router people, so I was transfered to India and after I told the "helper" that I am looking at my forwarded ports and there's a wierd problem, I had to waste 30 min just to get him to read his sheet like a robot with an extreme Indian accent and get me to where I told him where I already was. Then moments later, I figued out that I needed to just reset the router.

Moral of the story, don't call customer support.

[/funny story]

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 04:50:38 AM »
Were you able to follow Foil and Zantor's instructions about setting a static IP?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:21 PM »
I have to apologize. I did not use Foil's and Zantor's method. But I tried it and it did work like a charm. I owe you guys!

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »
Not at all.

Remember that anytime you set port-forwarding, you're setting it to a specific local IP (192.168.xxx.xxx), so you really need that IP to always stay the same (static).

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »
Some routers have a setting to allow their DHCP clients (in this case your PC) to never expire (which referts to the client's IP address). Others only allow a maximum of a few hours up to weeks.

Read up in the router's configuration on how to set the DHCP renewal time and its range, but make sure you don't tell your router to ask your provider to renew its own IP address. ;)
I don't think you're in danger of doing this, as only _very_ expensive routers have an option to renew their own DHCP IP address from the provider.

For the reset, that's a good advice too, but I've only encountered this on a few wireless routers so far. Port forwarding gets bust sometimes, although the IP address of the client hasn't changed. That's due to firmware bugs. Manufacturers nowadays release their products too early. If resetting the router helped, try to get a firmware update.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 06:26:00 AM »
True, you can certainly adjust the DHCP expiration time as a fix.

Personally, I prefer just using a static IP.  It's quick'n'easy, and I get to pick an easy-to-remember number for each machine (which helps when I need to adjust my port-forwarding).

Regarding the firmware, Thomas is right.  Firmware updates can definitely improve your router's stability and even sometimes adds functionality.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 06:33:10 PM »
And with some routers you can switch to a 3rd party firmware which may give you LOTS more options.  8)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets