Author Topic: Adventure games  (Read 7466 times)

Offline Bettina

• Silver
Adventure games
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
My boyfriend gave me a game called "Return to Mysterious Island". It's an adventure game where "Mina" gets washed  up on an island and must find her way off. The game is part treasure hunt where you search and find items to use in your quest and part science where you mix some obects together to make something else.

For example, I found some red clay and later I came across some tools that allowed me to shape the clay into a bowl and heat treat it to make it hard so I now had a container. I won't give it away but some others were there before me but have passed on leaving dozens of things behind like a roll of wire, a map, hammer, nails, boards, and chemicals you can mix to make other chemicals.  As you proceed through the island, you will come across situations where you have to use some of the stuff you have.... or make something. I liked this game a lot and I'm going to order "Return to Mysterious Island 2" but I would like to find others of the same type.

Does anyone know of any good adventure games? The most important requirement for me is that it contains NO MAGIC, SHOOTING, OR KILLING. I'm not into games that have gun battles, spells, potions, genies, dragons, or other supernatural stuff which is what my friends play so I'm not interested in borrowing any of those. I want something that makes you search, find, think, construct, etc...

Thanks, Bettina
"When the gift is the music, it comes from the heart that sings"

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: Adventure games
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:07:36 AM »
That's going to be a fun little quest you are on. It's hard to avoid those dislikes in Adventure games. Still, I'm sure others like the category exist. They are probably just covered up though.

I'm kinda intrested though -- How old is this game? Is it one of those 80's Adventure games? The 80's were when adventure games were in full swing, and via modern technologies such as DosBox, you can still run them on modern systems.

Offline akula65

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 06:50:02 AM »
I would recommend LucasArts' Grim Fandango.  It has some puzzles of the type you are interested in, plus the characters, story, music, voice acting and visuals are unique and well-done.  There is a demo for it:

http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=demo

Another series that might be of interest is Tivola's Physicus/Chemicus/Bioscopia.

Frogware's Sherlock Holmes games would probably be up your alley as well.  There are demos for many of them such as Secret of the Silver Earring.  Focus Home Interactive recently released The Mystery of the Mummy/The Silver Earring/The Awakened as a single package which I got for less than $10.00US.

You might also try the demos for games in the Myst series (Myst, Riven, etc.)

Offline Bettina

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:02:49 AM »
I'm kinda intrested though -- How old is this game? Is it one of those 80's Adventure games? The 80's were when adventure games were in full swing, and via modern technologies such as DosBox, you can still run them on modern systems.

It's a 2005 game with great graphics.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 12:15:49 PM »
2005 eh? Pretty interesting considering the average gamer these days. Thankfully *everyone* hasn't become them yet.

Although if it's made by a independant developer that makes sense, since they don't have to target anyone in particular. For the standard commerical coporation though it'd be kinda interesting, considering above notice about average gamers these days
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:37:29 PM by InsanityBringer »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:20:07 AM »
mmm... slim category your looking for...

Not really an adventure game, but you might like Nord. In Nord, you plant a garden, then invite other players over to share your garden. And you go looking for certian veggies, and other resources on your friend's islands. When you have collected one or more item, you can spin a wheel to level up. And you can get coins, to build up your island.

Oh, almost forgot about this one... Another game that, again, is not an adventure but is loads of fun and non-violent, is Roller Coaster Tycoon. The worse that can happen is if you build a roller coaster that is not safe, when you test it it might blow up or crash. Also some guests might get sick in your park, but you hire handymen to clean up.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:29:21 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 08:06:39 AM »
Woot! Roller Coaster Tycoon! I have that game, and have enjoyed it every now and then. :)

I must admit, I haven't stumbled across very many of these adventure games, (and most of them were mere demos) but I have played a few. Unfortunately, the ones that most readily come to MY mind are directed at a much younger audience, more kiddie-type games. Great fun for the age group in question...not so much for us older guys (or in Bettina's case, gals. :)).

Quote from: akula65
Frogware's Sherlock Holmes games would probably be up your alley as well.

There be Sherlock Holmes games out there? Really? Hmm, I'm going to have to check these guys out...
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »
Reminds me of the old Sierra games I used to play, the “Kings Quest” and “Space Quest” series, by Roberta and Ken Williams. I didn’t think they still made games like that anymore. They were interesting enough for adults yet kid friendly.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 05:39:45 AM »
lol... don't forget Leisure Suit Larry... ;)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 09:04:14 AM »
Heya, Bet!  Good to see you on PD.net.  :)

You've probably already found that the best of adventure games like that, are usually much older games. 

I'll second the recommendation for Myst.  It's not a "magic" game with spells/dragons/etc.  It's more like a mystery set in a "fantastical world with bizarre machinery", where things don't always make sense (until you figure out what's going on, of course).  I think you might enjoy it.

Or, if you're willing to try text-based games, I'll suggest my all-time favorite adventure-puzzle game: Deep Space Drifter.  This one is actually freeware, and I had more fun working through it than any other game like it I've ever played.  Seriously, this game gets my top recommendation.

If you (or anyone else) decides to play Deep Space Drifter, let me know.  I'd be really interested to see if you get stuck at the same places I did.  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:02:12 AM by Foil »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 10:39:16 AM »
Yeah, +1 for Myst! One of the few games, other than Descent, that I've completed.

hmmm... never did complete the sequel, Riven...

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
lol... don't forget Leisure Suit Larry... ;)

LOL, I did play some "Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards”, but I kept catching STD’s and dying.  ::)
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Bettina

• Silver
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »
Hi Foil, a PD without bugs finally.  :)

Thanks for all the feedback you guys. I downloaded Deep Space Drifter and jotted down the others because I just received my Return to Mysterious Island 2.  I really don't have much time lately so I don't know if I will get to them that soon.

But, if you find more let me know.

Bee

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 04:10:21 PM »
Hi Foil, a PD without bugs finally.  :)

Unfortauntly the interface totally kills it. I'd like the old PD, just on a bug-free server.

And as a fan of a few 80's adventure games I'll have to give these a spin myself at some point. They might be interesting enough to pull my interest away from Lode Runner for a bit

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »
I have to put in a shameless plug for my personal favorites: Sam & Max: Season 1 and 2 from Telltale games. There is shooting, per se - but it is all "Shoot the gong to make a sound that distracts this person" or whatever. If you're against any reference to violence at all (all in good fun, of course), then you'll hate it, as many of the jokes reference violence that never actually takes place.

Grim Fandango is indeed good, as well. Classic LucasArts gameplay.

Myst is a classic, as well, but can be brutally difficult. And it has the most depressingly disappointing ending in the history of gaming.  :P

Another old LucasArts game is "Full Throttle," but it can be slightly on the vulgar side, and there is a part where I remember you do have to force some sort of alien biker gang (yeah, this is definitely an over-the-top game) off the edge of a cliff, so there's some violence there.

Check out some stuff on Adventure Gamers. That's going to be home for all things adventure. :)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets