Author Topic: Luke and the X-wing  (Read 8162 times)

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
Luke and the X-wing
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
I'm getting suspicious about Luke Skywalker & the X-wing... In the battle of Yavin, Luke is flying the X-wing. And finally... where did he get the training? And the closest comparison I can only think of is Rick Hunter from Robotech and he was a gifted pilot but nearly got himself killed when he tried to pilot the VT (VF-1D).
(I learned about this suspicion on the Robotech.com forum)
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Luke and the X-wing
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
eh?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 02:34:25 PM »
He did say "It's just like shooting womp rats in my something something something back home." Plus simulators. Everyone has simulators. I fly airplanes and I had been flying simulators before so I had a general sense of what was going on.

Plus he used the force. :P
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
eh?
Let me give you an example:
Civie racers or whatever he was flying a B4 that can't be the same.  Such as taking a civie pilot who flown Cessnas one day and thus dumping them in the cockpit of the F22 and finally sending them to a combat mission.

There does that make sense now. ;)

He did say "It's just like shooting womp rats in my something something something back home." Plus simulators. Everyone has simulators. I fly airplanes and I had been flying simulators before so I had a general sense of what was going on.

Plus he used the force. :P

I do remeber that he's been shooting womp rats back on Tatooine inside his T-16.  Thanks for the reminder though.

And further more, I believe that the T-16 and X-Wing were made by the same company (Income) in the Starwars Universe (according to some Unoffical Starwars source).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:42:50 PM by SapphireWolf »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
but...

What is your suspicion about Luke Skywalker, and how does it tie into flying an x-wing, or whatever craft?

You've skipped over the subject of your post and gone directly into what seems like the middle of a conversation you've been having with someone else.

For example: "I am suspicious that Luke S. is plotting to overthrow the Jedi because someone must have taught him to fly an x-wing, and it wasn't the Jedi."

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »
Okay, people, I LOVE Starwars and all but, maybe I shouldn't be suspicious, maybe I should've said, "concern".

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:09:59 PM »
Why not...In "Battlefield Earth" cave men learned how to fly Harriers (turd of a movie) :P
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »
You know ... He has a point.

Luke Skywalker is portrayed as the nephew of a "Moisture Farmer" and has spent his entire life ... moisture farming.  So he's familier with speeders, droids, and T-16's (whatever they are) ... and has little to nearly no experience with space travel and next to no knowledge of traveling at light speed (que Han Solo: "Traveling at light speed ain't like dusting crops, boy...").

Yet no sooner does he get to the Yavin moon than he's assigned to fly a X-Wing fighter as if he's fully qualified and trained.

Perhaps the X-Wing fighters are just extremely user-friendly?

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 07:58:42 PM »
OK, that settles it.  I really do want my own X-Wing fighter.  Even if it doesn't have the weapons (thus allowing for civilian ownership/use). ;D

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 03:10:21 AM »
*snaps fingers* It all makes sense now. He must have X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter for Windows 98! XD

I agree with Tech Pro that it must be user friendly.

I also go back to my original guns... Simulators. Microsoft X-Wing Simulator. Nuf said. :P
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 05:46:51 AM »
Heh, funny to think that Luke Skywalker is a little bit of a Mary Sue. :P

And for those of you who don't now what a Mary Sue is...Linky.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:10:39 AM »
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »
You know ... He has a point.

Luke Skywalker is portrayed as the nephew of a "Moisture Farmer" and has spent his entire life ... moisture farming.  So he's familier with speeders, droids, and T-16's (whatever they are) ... and has little to nearly no experience with space travel and next to no knowledge of traveling at light speed (que Han Solo: "Traveling at light speed ain't like dusting crops, boy...").

Yet no sooner does he get to the Yavin moon than he's assigned to fly a X-Wing fighter as if he's fully qualified and trained.

Perhaps the X-Wing fighters are just extremely user-friendly?

No, the movie perhaps did not make this clear, but Luke spent years training at various things. Some of it was alluded to at various points in the movies, some things are just glossed over or outright left out. But certainly Luke's life is not portrayed day by day in each episode... we would really have to wonder more about his aging processes if this were not so. Remember the Yoda scene: "Do. Or do not. There is no try!", this marked the beginning of Luke's training as a Jedi Knight, which presumably included piloting a variety of craft.

Also don't miss PyroJockey's link, which explains the similarity of the T16 to the X-Wing. So I guess you could say, at least, they are T16 users friendly. ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:46:02 PM by WillyP »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets