Author Topic: Request for Descent 1 or 2 Demo files longer than 20 minutes  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Dosgamer

• Silver
Request for Descent 1 or 2 Demo files longer than 20 minutes
« on: March 24, 2022, 04:58:09 AM »
Running DX1 and 2 Rebirth, I was looking for demos files to run within D1 and D2 Rebirth that are longer than 20 minutes to run to showcase the game. Really anything on demo file is fine, just wanted a long one to run kinda like a screen saver on a windows box. Apologies for the new user question, but the only demo files I could find were super short in length.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Request for Descent 1 or 2 Demo files longer than 20 minutes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 03:24:29 PM »
I personally haven't ever really recorded any demos from either game, much less anything longer than a minute, tops (and those that I did record are long gone by now), so unfortunately, I can't help you much there.

I've also never seen a demo file that runs anywhere near as long as 20 minutes done by anyone else. Not to say no one has ever done so of course (though I'm not sure the game allows a single demo to be recorded while playing over multiple levels--never tried, personally), but I'm not sure there's ever been enough interest by players to try. These days, most would use a separate screen-grabbing app to record the footage for uploading on places like YouTube rather than use D1/D2's demo-capturing system, so I'm not sure how many people are going to be able to come forward with anything like you're asking for.

I mean, if you do, great, but...don't know how likely it might be.  :(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Dosgamer

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 02:26:00 PM »
Thank you @Scyphi. Good point.  Probably best to go with video captures.
Is there a place to download demo files for D1 or D2 Rebirth you can recommend? Ie even short ones.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 06:12:24 AM »
Not at present, unfortunately. I believe PD used to have a couple hidden away somewhere, but they're not accessible anymore.

In fact, now that I'm looking around at a few of the other Descent-centric places that I know of, it seems like very few still do anymore--it really does seem like it's just not a thing with the community anymore.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Arne

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 03:09:29 AM »
I have a demo for my (not so skilled) D2 trainee run, about 4.5 hours
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Mphc7kIbWWS45Qe7gozwbpgTcTX41bE/view?usp=sharing

Offline Dosgamer

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 05:58:22 AM »
@Arnie this is absolutely brilliant! Thank you for making this.  Thank you for your sharing.  You are top of your game!  Quick question, what maps are being played in this demo?  Would you have any have other demos to share (any length) as well?  These are great.  Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 05:59:53 AM by Dosgamer »

Offline Arne

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 11:56:40 AM »
That demo was just the built-in D2 Counterstrike mission.
I also have a demo for D1 First Strike, but it only goes to level 23 for now.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ivhRqbg2EQ8fpj4BalR3L6XHIGi7CA19/view?usp=sharing

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets