Author Topic: But was it cheating?  (Read 12049 times)

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
But was it cheating?
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »
  Back in a time when Descent was new my oldest son and I would spend countless hours stalking one another through the mines. I had my workstation in a home office upstairs while my son would use the family PC downstairs. We would take turns dialing in and selecting our favorite levels.

Most of the time I would prevail, I must admit a wicked satisfaction when I could hear him cursing after I ambushed him, again, and I would tolerate his triumphant victory dance up the stairs, hooting all the way, when he would turn the tables.

At some point I noticed a change in his patterns. Sometimes he would find me when I thought I was well hidden and other times he could not be found. I think it was my wife who clued me in as to what was happening. I had an infant daughter who’s bedroom was nearby and he was listening to me play over the infant monitor. Sneaky little bugger. He could hear the game sounds when I picked up an invul, and more important when it wore off, pick up a cloak, pass near the reactor, skim the lava, enter an energy center, and most important when I could hear him opening doors, picking up power-ups etc.

So what to do with this knowledge? Turn off the monitor? Hell no! I used DTX to extract some of the sounds and assigned them to different keys, such as the flare would play the invul powering up, etc… Well the game play changed after that. I could be chased down a tunnel into a dead end room with 1% shields, fire a flare and he would turn tail and run. This worked for quite some time until one day he was playing single player on my machine and fired a flare and heard the invul power up.  :o Oh my God the look on his face when he put it all together and said “YOU CHEATED”!  >:(

What do you think?  :-\

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:18:40 PM by PyroJockey »
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: But was it cheating?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:40:38 PM »
Cool story, Pyro. I think it needs to be "Soupeified" if it's alright with you. :)

I don't think it's cheating. It's exploitation, for sure, but it's not cheating.  ;D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »
Soup would be fine  8)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:06:54 AM »
Ahahahahaha, that story is amazing.  :P
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 06:23:48 AM »
I say the son cheated first, so this is perfectly fair. Give him a taste of his own medicine. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 06:48:07 AM »
I just find it hilarious.  :D

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 11:51:15 AM »
Golden tactics! Switch it up every week or so...  8)

Is there a way to make a sound play a COMPLETELY different sound, not even from the game? Like D3 where you drop in a sound file with the name of the original sound?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 02:03:11 PM »
LOL... Great story. I would certainly not call that cheating under the circumstance. I play in the same room, right next to the kid's machine. It's hard not to look! But that would be cheating.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Planet Orange [phx13]

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 03:50:16 PM »
Definitely NOT cheating. As a competitor myself, you gotta do what you can to win.
Go Suns!

"To God be the Glory".
-Greg Jennings
Super Bowl XLV

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 07:27:33 PM »
Is there a way to make a sound play a COMPLETELY different sound, not even from the game? Like D3 where you drop in a sound file with the name of the original sound?

If I recall correctly DTX will let you import sound files too, but that wouldn't have helped in this case.  ;)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 06:00:10 AM »
It's more likely he cheated, then you let him hang himself, so to speak...

It's a fine line though, cheating, or just taking advantage of a situation. Would it be cheating in a tournament to listen for the sound coming out of the back of an opponents headphones?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
I think that'd depend on how close you are to said person, and how loud that person has his sound turned up.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 02:39:56 PM »
In the context of a tournament, or even, say, a lan party, someone should say "hey, man, everyone can hear". But I would not fault an opponent for using information gleaned in this manner. Now, using a baby monitor to spy... that would be another matter altogether.

Although in PyroJockey's story, it's not like his son planted the eavesdropping monitor, he simply availed himself of an opportunity that presented itself. Actually I think 'unfair advantage' is the term I would use, and nullify any results from those games.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 08:12:16 PM »
Revive.

Now that I look back at this, I think it is cheating on the son's part. That would be what most people would call "unfair advantages." If they can hear me and I can't hear them equally, I'd get ticked and do something about it. Technically, switching the sounds is legal because it is something that he could have done too. In my book, i say that "if we can both do it, it is not cheating (unless it's something really low)." For all you know, you could have been tinkering with the sounds one day, have him say you cheated, and have no clue what he was talking about.

Did you ever set one to sound like the Earthshaker? Try the vulcan or omega! :P

I should probably make a new topic, but...
I can't get the sound editor to install. I think it said that it can't find the correct files for something, but that might have been for something else. It was awhile ago. I'll find out tomorrow if you are reading this now. This will be edited out when I get the correct info.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 06:19:13 AM »
Cheating means breaking the rules. But some rules are 'unwritten', they are just understood to be there. This leaves a big grey area as to cheating or just taking advantage of a situation. I guess it depends on whether the participants had an understanding as to the unwritten rules, or, maybe, whether there was a reasonable expectation that certain unwritten rules would be followed.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets