Author Topic: Playing around with a Descent 3 patcher [Build 1 released!]  (Read 5149 times)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: Playing around with a Descent 3 patcher
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 04:11:04 PM »
I squeezed in two more patches. At this rate I'm going to finish the entirety of my "future goals" list before I get a single release out.... (but at least the source is up on GitHub for anyone to play with).

The first of my new patches fixes a bug with Descent 3 where if you're using the mouse at a decently high framerate, holding it down becomes unreliable. I traced this down to an oddity in the mouse code. The keyboard and joystick code, when timing how long a button's been held for, uses the normal timer code, which by default uses a much higher accuracy means of measuring time. The mouse code, on the other hand, uses a simple MS timer with a resolution of somewhere around 10-16 MS according to MS's docs. This means the game would frequently get deltas of 0 and think you released the mouse. I patched it to use the same high-precision timer as the other input methods.

The second is pretty mundane, but since I was having trouble getting mouse controls right, and the mouse sensitivity controls in the game have limited resolution, I threw on a configurable mouse prescalar which will scale the inputs before the game code gets it. Works well for the moment, but mouse control is still a little rough I feel.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: Playing around with a Descent 3 patcher
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2021, 11:11:21 AM »
https://github.com/InsanityBringer/InjectD3/releases/tag/v0.1-alpha

Assuming nothing's gone wrong, here's my first build!

It's absolutely vital you read the readme to tell what's going on. You'll need to use OpenGL for most patches to take effect, you'll probably need to rename your movies folder since I haven't patched the movie player yet, and there's still bugs in this release I'm trying to track down, but for normal playing it should be fine.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 12:01:31 PM by SaladBadger »

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: Playing around with a Descent 3 patcher [Build 1 released!]
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »
If anyone downloaded this build before this post, I recommend redownloading, I forgot to include the OpenAL soft binaries in the distribution. Oops.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 08:17:47 AM »
I'll try to give it a try in the next few days and let you know how it went! It sounds promising.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2021, 12:52:28 PM »
I have pushed an update at https://github.com/InsanityBringer/InjectD3/releases/tag/v0.2-beta. This includes many bugfixes for the new sound system and mouse code, and some user convenience features for the configuration program. See the linked page for full details.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets