Author Topic: Descent 1 & 2 Save Game Editing  (Read 7203 times)

Offline nitrusix

• Bronze
Descent 1 & 2 Save Game Editing
« on: December 12, 2020, 12:38:17 PM »
Back in the day, there was a tool called Descent Manager for Dos that could edit Descent 1 and 2 savegame (sg0/sgx) files to change what weapons you had, how much energy you had, etc. I found dmdosb2 on the Wayback Machine, but have had zero luck getting it going in Dosbox. Just wanted to pop in here to see if anybody had the tech information on the SaveGame files or newer tools compatible with modern OS's.

Offline nitrusix

• Bronze
Re: Descent 1 & 2 Save Game Editing
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
I got dmdosb2 running on a VM with DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1, but it's just for Demos.

Maybe it was Descent Manager for DOS before it got taken over by the Descent2.com team and turned into Win32 programs.

So...anybody got a copy of "dmanb06f.exe" lying around? I lost mine when my NAS crashed back in 2008.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 02:20:14 PM »
Sadly I don't. Where was it originally hosted at?

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 07:03:33 PM »
The original DOS Descent Manager was on one of the Descent Network sites (I forget where exactly). The DOS program and the Win32 ones were all done by the same person (Heiko Hermann, might be a slight misspelling there). One of those, MVEEXTRACT32, met with copyright problems with Interplay (though it didn't know the MVE format, what it was doing was enough for Interplay to complain about it), and had to be removed. The DOS version also had that functionality, though it didn't go away immediately.

Unfortunately, it seems the Descent Network sites are all long gone (I get DNS errors on them).

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 09:02:19 AM »
Is it perhaps on the wayback machine?

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 06:40:38 PM »
Does wayback archive downloads? I've never tried looking for ancient downloads on it.

I know the Descent Network site did have the specs about the various Descent formats. Wonder how hard it'd be to build a new save editing program.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 05:59:16 AM »
No, Wayback usually doesn't archive downloads, because more often than not, the origin of that download is technically located at a different address than the page they are archiving. That and I'm sure there's some legal considerations they have to keep in mind, you know, so they aren't accidentally sharing content the original owner of that content no longer wants shared in such a manner.

I mean, you occasionally do get lucky, but it depends on how popular the download is and how much time has passed. The less its popularity and the more time has gone by, the less likely it was archived by Wayback.

Short version: I highly doubt you'd found this download via Wayback.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Arne

• Silver

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 06:09:20 AM »
Then never mind me then.  :P

That said, I did test download it myself to confirm it actually is a properly functioning download, and it appears that it is, but I should alert everybody that I could not get the program to run (at least out of the box) on my Windows 10 system, so it might take some fanangling to run it.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 07:15:47 AM »
64-bit versions of Windows cannot run 16-bit programs (which includes all DOS programs) because the necessary WoW (Windows on Windows) subsystem is not included. You need to use DOSBox or something similar. I used DOSBox-X and it seemed to run fine.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets