Author Topic: Omens: PTMC Vesta Covert Facility  (Read 755 times)

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Megathron, A Flare, [WAX]Hunter + others
    • Sectorgame
Omens: PTMC Vesta Covert Facility
« on: July 02, 2018, 04:52:55 AM »
Omens: PTMC Vesta Covert Facility

So over the the past few weeks I've been putting together a new singleplayer (and multiplayer co-op) level for Descent 3 that will feature new enemies and weapons from OVERLOAD, re-created with permission from Revival Productions. This is something of a combination project that brings back an old level idea with a new set of mods together.  Statistically, OMENS is one of the largest Descent 3 levels ever built - if not the largest ever built - but from a physical size perspective it's probably about the 3rd or 4th largest after some of the Outrage levels. To wet your appetite, here are some screenshots:

The level will feature the following:

* A handful of new robots based on OVERLOAD, including several variations of each
* 12 weapons from OVERLOAD
* Two entirely new boss robots
* A custom soundtrack from Jerry Berlongieri and much more!

Omens brings a kind of classic Descent style back into Descent 3 with slow, bulky and tough enemies. It gets pretty hard on the higher difficulties.

I cannot make any promises, but the level is nearly complete and ready to ship, so expect to see it this month!

Edit: Released!

The level is now available!

Grab it at Descent 3 Sector: https://sectorgame.com/d3/downloads/?nav=display&file=880
Or at MODDB: https://www.moddb.com/mods/omens
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:38:49 PM by Hunter »
Active multiplayer pilot from 1996~2003, thereabouts. Stopped playing competitively in 2007.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
    • Scyphi Productions
Re: Omens: PTMC Vesta Covert Facility
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 05:55:14 AM »
A custom soundtrack from Jerry Berlongieri

Now, how the hay did you rope that? Not that I'm complaining, of course.  ;D

Also...two boss bots for just one level? Must be a heck of a level.
"Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain, you guys! CHOCOLATE! RAIN!"
See me also at deviantART.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »
Sounds like a most awesome project! 8)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 09:11:27 PM »
Yes, two bosses, but one is more of a mini-boss. I haven't decided which one is harder on an individual basis, but the final boss room should be a challenge for all but the hardiest of pilots.
Active multiplayer pilot from 1996~2003, thereabouts. Stopped playing competitively in 2007.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 05:40:17 PM »
The level is now available!

Grab it at Descent 3 Sector: https://sectorgame.com/d3/downloads/?nav=display&file=880
Or at MODDB: https://www.moddb.com/mods/omens

Fair warning: You may need up to 2 hours to play through the entire level, if you want to find everything! Savegames do *not* work.

You may need the GOG version to play this. I fixed a bug and re-uploaded the level  - simply DL again
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:28:39 AM by Hunter »

Offline Hunter

• Gold
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 04:39:53 PM »
Based on feedback I've received it would seem the level is too dark. I think this is likely due to my monitors being exceedingly bright, so it didn't seem all that dark to me. I will be increasing the ambient brightness and making a few other small tweaks.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 05:21:25 PM »
Tried to start playing this on my laptop, but since D3 plays like junk with a M&K, and I keep getting graphics glitches and annoying pop-up notifications from my driver utility every time it tries to switch resolutions, I'm probably going to have to wait until I can take a crack at it on my older desktop with a joystick.

That said, early impressions are extremely positive... I find a lot of mods tend to have a less-than-endearing "modness" to them that clearly outs them as something non-professional. This looks and feels positively superb and polished, like an official add-on mission. And with Jerry laying down the beats... It kindof is.  ;) Can't wait. To play through the whole thing when I get the chance.
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »
Thanks!

The patched version has been uploaded. Download the level again to get the changes.

Please Help Support PD!

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 20055
  • Total Topics: 1471
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 104
  • (September 02, 2016, 05:27:46 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18