Poll

Will Interplay Ever Release a Descent 4?

No.
No.

Author Topic: Will Interplay Ever Release a Descent 4?  (Read 28614 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Will Interplay Ever Release a Descent 4?
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »
Well, what do you think? Is it possible?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
Re: Will Interplay Ever Release a Descent 4?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »
No.

But the Open Descent Foundation will...  ::)
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »
Love the choices.  ;D

I  don't see it being possible for Interplay.  Someone or some other group could, but it will take some doing.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:15:36 PM »
It's time to reunite Matt Toschlog, Mike Kulas, John Slagel, and the rest of the development team. Toss on more skilled members (perhaps some who were once in the D3 community and have moved on to more modern engines) to have a team worthy of today's game development.

Of course that won't happen

Offline Planet Orange [phx13]

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 08:25:08 PM »
Unfortunatly the answer is a big NO. With all the crap going on with Interplay, their troubles, and the bad economy I just don't see it happening.
Go Suns!

"To God be the Glory".
-Greg Jennings
Super Bowl XLV

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:10:47 AM »
Also boils back down to the rights, too. They're all fragmented and scattered all over the gaming community, and if anybody forget to obtain a piece, you're stuck until you get it.  ::)

Of course, I'm hoping all of those people just allow the rights to eventually lapse, and then that issue's resolved. It'd be a long wait, though, and of course, there's always going to be the chance that somebody's going to be greedy and hang onto them even though they aren't doing anything with the rights, and the rights aren't doing anything for them.  >:(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 07:58:48 AM »
Great poll question.  :D

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:43:02 AM »
No, not interplay. Too much bad management.

I don't think we'll see another Descent until someone else releases a successful 6DOF game (Miner Wars?) and proves there is a market for it.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 12:53:27 PM »
I'd really like to see something with people from the old team (not the D3 team) but I really doubt that will happen

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
  • Largest of all Mosasaurs
    • Descent Task Force
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »
That this is an old thread I know, but I have interests for it hehe :)

So thereby I voted the bolded no haha, it kinda looked like that I had a choice, right? xDDDDD
Even that I have some hope for a D4 and a FS3, I hope so so there is more to collect.

On the other hand, to be realistic, well it won't happen, well not yet anyways. Just like Pyro Jockey said, Interplay has a very bad management, they are a great bunch of lads, but they have been out of the game for so long, since 2004 if memory services correctly.

If Minerwars does succeed it may let loose some idea's but for most gamers they prefer something simple over something complicated and disorientating, gamers like us should be seen as very rare occasions, but yes I will always have hope for a new Descent and Freespace definitely, I don't see why not  8) 

Freespace btw also has the Tri-Chording bug, nowadsys it can be used to your advantage as well, gameplay wise they are similar, but still Descent is more my thing, it's just something you won't see coming back for quite a few years, such a shame Interplay is still hanging on to the rights of Descent 3, this one can be so much improved, same like Descent 1 and 2 have been thanks to DXX-Rebirth & D2X-XL.

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 09:48:34 PM »
I honestly wonder if Interplay would notice if another company made a Descent clone. Couldn't name it Descent 4 though, I bet they'd jump for a chance to sue if it was easy enough. Hmmmm....

If you think about it, Half Life 2 came out in 2004 for PC. D3 came out in 1999. We have 5 more years right to complain than the most angry group of fans on the internet.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:50:47 AM by Wraith-1 »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »
Ha-ha, yeah, I suppose we do on that count. :D

On the other hand, I've noticed there seems to be a discreet but sudden upsurge in interest in Descent, because I've been seeing slightly more expressions of interest in it as of late than I have in the past, so if that trend continues, we could see new games. Maybe not a D4 (but as always, I still secretly hope against hope), but other Descent like clones. I mean, we've already got Miner Wars that has successfully been getting off the ground and has garnered a fair amount of attention, and that upcoming "Retrovirus" game that is deliberately very Descent-like too. There could very well be more in the future. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »
The poll is evenly split. Fascinating!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 12:20:33 AM »
Well, this is old. Short answer is a big "no". Long answer is: what, do you think anyone could pull that off?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 07:17:36 AM »
The odds of the Wiiware is more likely, and I don't even see that happening. Descent has been a blast, but no matter how much we may love it, I can't see it happening. This has been talked about for years.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets