Author Topic: can someone help with the original Descent music and tracklist?  (Read 6158 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
can someone help with the original Descent music and tracklist?
« on: November 25, 2017, 07:39:51 PM »
Instead of getting into how something horrible happened, I need the track list and music to the classic Descent 1 music (pc, the midi's, roughly 25 or more pieces of music).

I have the music on CD only now, and of course, it won't show the track names, just "UNKNOWN". I'd like the music as well to compare what songs they are, being I deleted a few to fit on one CD.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:43:53 PM by VANGUARD »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: can someone help with the original Descent music and tracklist?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
Link

Seriously, I keep linking to this site for these things guys, I've done it like three times in so many months if not more frequently still.  :P Not that I mind, of course, I'm happy to do it, but, c'mon...  ;)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »
Their "titles," if any are ever given, are basically whatever level they were used on, excepting the title screen, credits, and briefing music, and are usually only added by fans after the fact.

The link I directed to should be all titled in this manner already.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »
Their "titles," if any are ever given, are basically whatever level they were used on, excepting the title screen, credits, and briefing music, and are usually only added by fans after the fact.

The link I directed to should be all titled in this manner already.

Thanks! and you're right, I go by what the name of the level is.
Thank you very much! I still have a lot of recovering to do with music and files. This helps a TON! Thanks!!

To whom it concerns:

I tried deleting some stubborn file off my external HD. I think it was corrupted because I accidentally unplugged it too early.
I right clicked on the icon and chose "root delete" (linux term) and it deleted ALL of my files! And I just reinstalled a system and had not had a chance to copy those files onto the hard drive.
So ALL of my stuff, minus music CD's, one zelda walkthrough, pictures & videos of my son, maybe a few other things, are ALL GONE!

I am SO glad I burned all my music on CD's, but now the only thing is, getting the CD artwork back, track names, etc. back on the MP3's.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:36:53 PM by VANGUARD »

Offline Chaplain5

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 07:24:14 AM »
Thanks! and you're right, I go by what the name of the level is.
Thank you very much! I still have a lot of recovering to do with music and files. This helps a TON! Thanks!!

To whom it concerns:

I tried deleting some stubborn file off my external HD. I think it was corrupted because I accidentally unplugged it too early.
I right clicked on the icon and chose "root delete" (linux term) and it deleted ALL of my files! And I just reinstalled a system and had not had a chance to copy those files onto the hard drive.
So ALL of my stuff, minus music CD's, one zelda walkthrough, pictures & videos of my son, maybe a few other things, are ALL GONE!

I am SO glad I burned all my music on CD's, but now the only thing is, getting the CD artwork back, track names, etc. back on the MP3's.

Dang. I am so sorry that happened to you, man.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 03:27:25 PM »
Heh, I often worry about losing stuff in such a manner. Although I have backups of important stuff, some files aren't copied anywhere because they take up too much accumulative space. I need more hard drives, and I have 5 already... :o

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:33:43 PM »
thanks Chaplain, I'll get most back in time. Some is just lost forever.

Hunter, I'd like to get a second external HD. My next plan is to have more backup's.
Once I get one more external HD, I may be set.

I will then have two external HD's, one now at 1TB, another maybe at 1 or 2 TB, depending on price.
I have 1 32gb flash card I'd use as back up,
have it on my interal HD, and
a 1 tb harddrive on my laptop.

I don't use cloud. not sure which ones are really good and private.

I understand cloud, being if I had it, I'd have a chance to retrieve files, but what if that cloud server went out?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 06:46:12 AM »
but what if that cloud server went out?

That's what keeps me from turning to cloud servers for anything more than temporary storage myself. They're so accessible these days, but also so intangible...you don't have any real guarantees if they'll last forever, or at least however long you need while you're using it.
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 06:53:57 AM »
but what if that cloud server went out?

There's always a 'what if' scenario to every back-up scheme... the best plan is to store back-ups in multiple formats, multiple locations. If you have cloud backup. the company might go out of business, if you keep backups locally, or at a friends house, what happens if you have a fire, etc... But it's unlikely all copies get destroyed at the same time, if you have physically separate locations.

Personally I'm not a big fan of cloud backup because I'd rather just copy files and I can leave some at my mother's house and some in a storage unit I'm renting for other things. And what Scyphi said, who posted while I was typing.

The attraction of cloud, though, is that it is so convienint, just copy your files and you can retrieve them anytime, anywhere... assuming you have your password!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:55:55 AM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
To Scyphi & WillyP;

I'm not too fond of using the cloud to store data. On a flash drive or HD, it's right there. What if the internet is down? What if you want to listen to an album or some video? You have to wait for it to download and it can take some time.

The thought of a fire came to my mind, or from my wife. It can happen, so why not a friends house or my mothers place? Sounds nice, but I also update stuff and that'd be quite a few visits to keep updating.

But as you said, WillyP, having cloud helps in case of fire, and flash cards/HD's, are nice in case of the cloud server going.
To have it in multiple places VS just one or two.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
Put your backup solution in a time capsule and launch it into orbit.

Should be alright up there.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 03:25:08 AM »
Thanks. Ill do that

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 06:56:51 AM »
Quote from: Hunter

Assuming the orbit doesn't degrade and it falls back to Earth.
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 10:41:50 AM »

"Upload my backup to the cloud? Shoot, I upload my backup TO SPACE!!!!"
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets