Author Topic: Descent Mac Shareware Music  (Read 22074 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Descent Mac Shareware Music
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 06:07:17 AM »
I was researching recording microphones sometime back with the thought of buying one at some point, and in going over the product reviews for any given microphone, this particular topic of how shielding the microphone's cabling was or was not was constantly coming up, so yes, I'd say it is.  ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Chaplain5

• Silver
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2017, 06:12:20 AM »
Aha, I see.

Any recommendations as to brands that aren't base-level Chinese junk?

Offline Chaplain5

• Silver
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2017, 06:19:38 AM »
Incidentally guys, it's clear that if this is the case then I'm going to have to put down some more money for a really high quality stereo cable. While I'm very motivated to get this done and show this music to you guys, pocket cash is rather scarce for me right now, and the stereo cable doesn't have a lot of utility for me otherwise so it's not a terribly robust investment. It may be a while before I get this done.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2017, 02:31:58 PM »
Before you spend the money... Is the whine present in the speakers of the old Mac when you are not recording?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Chaplain5

• Silver
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2017, 03:22:44 PM »
Not that I can hear. What does that mean?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
Not much actually. But if you had said yes, it would have meant it's not caused by the cable between the old Mac and newer machine.

Offline Chaplain5

• Silver
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 03:00:43 PM »
So I'm still going to get a shielded cable.

Any recommendations for brand/specific product?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2017, 07:36:36 AM »
I have no advice for you as to brand or specific product... sorry.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 05:35:22 AM »
Nor do I, I just recommend you do your research, read product reviews, etc, before buying.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Chaplain5

• Silver
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 07:49:36 AM »
Nor do I, I just recommend you do your research, read product reviews, etc, before buying.

Right-o, thanks. I'm going to take my time and buy the best cable I can reasonably get.

So don't hold your breath. But I will not forget about this, it will get done and I will revisit this topic, even if it's not for a few months.

Offline Chaplain5

• Silver
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
Hey all!

So it is, as predicted, taking me a long time to get around to buying a proper stereo cable and recording that music (fingers crossed that that actually works out!)

So for the moment, here's the rough recording that I got from the menu to test my original (and decidedly cheap/crummy) stereo cable. It would be a fine recording except for that whine, which we are assuming comes from the cable being unshielded. This will give you guys a taste of what I'm talking about and prove my claim that the music is different.  ;) The recording is also, unfortunately, incomplete as I believe I cut it off a few seconds before reaching the end of the loop.

So yeah, please let me know what you think!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 07:10:27 AM »
Yeah, definitely different from most other versions I've heard...this version really brings out the drums and percussion.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Chaplain5

• Silver
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »
Yeah, I like it a lot!

Offline Chaplain5

• Silver
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 11:40:06 AM »
And you thought I had actually forgotten about this... MUAHAHAHAHAHA!  :D

I'm pleased to say that I got my hands on a shielded, gold-plated RadioShack brand stereo cable. Fingers crossed that this one works!

Offline Chaplain5

• Silver
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 01:57:44 PM »
Rats, it didn't work. There's still a whine in the background. It must be the old equipment struggling.

If you guys want me to go through and record everything despite the whine, I will, but I don't really have the desire to do it myself as long as there's that defect.

The only other things I can think of:

1. Getting a dedicated noise filter device
2. If I upload the shareware files to you guys, could someone extract the music?

In any event, I did take the time to record the music from level 3. This is one of my favorite Descent pieces of all time, and the reason why I was so intrigued by the shareware music. Enjoy!

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets