Author Topic: Time for a new monitor  (Read 3725 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Time for a new monitor
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »
Well, my desktop is screwed today. Came home and turned it on and there's a black band of about an inch and a quarter at the top and bottom, vertical size already maxed. So I had to reduce horizontal size to make it proportional, but it's like using a 17" monitor.  >:( Some of you have no idea what I'm talking about but it's an old CRT monitor.

Guess it's time for a new monitor, not even going to try fixing this one... it's had it's day. And well worth what I paid for it which was nothing. And I've had it for years, it was about to be thrown out by the design dept where I worked at the time. So it was already well used when I got it.

Any recommendations for a new one? I've been using this one at 1600x1200 and I would like to stay at that resolution but there ain't no such animal anymore.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Time for a new monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:58:59 PM »
I remember those, and a 1600x1200 res. Now I just get 1366x768.

I would just google "monitors at 1600x1200 res" or something. Found some on Amazon. flat screens at that resolution. I'm sure it's around elsewhere too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:00:37 PM by {VANGUARD} »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 06:23:34 PM »
Well, the monitor went to sleep while I was making dinner, and when it woke up... back to normal. I re-readjusted all my adjustments and all's good.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:44:22 PM »
Split this off from the desktop thread... All is not well, I have to either restart the computer or sometimes it works to turn the monitor off then back on again. Every time I start the machine, or the monitor goes to sleep. Given the age, though, I'm not surprised it's acting up, it's earned it's retirement.

I am thinking I am going to get one of these: ASUS MG24UQ Black 23.6" IPS 4K UHD Adaptive-Sync (Free Sync ) LCD/LED Gaming Monitor, 3840X2160, W/ Asus Excusive GamePlus and Flicker free Technology , Built-in Speakers-Newegg.com
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:52:39 PM by -<WillyP>- »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 06:45:34 PM »
Yup, your ol' electron flingin' cathode ray shooting monitor is ... dying.

You could take a can of circuit cooler (available at electronics outlets) and spray on capacitors within the monitor while the monitor is powered on ... and watch for changes in the display.  Could help you track down the capacitor that is dying ('cause that is what is dying) which could then be replaced.

But I don't think I'd bother with the effort (or risk of electrocution).

An option... Go down to Wal-Mart and buy the biggest television screen you can get for the same money as a good monitor... and use that for your new computer monitor.  Those Wal-Mart sold television screens are going for less than many good "computer monitors" and include connections to let you plug your computer in to it.   ;D :o   Resolution might suck though.

For example, this 50" monster:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Proscan-PLDED5069-50-1080p-60Hz-LED-HDTV/54391942   ???
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:49:01 PM by TechPro »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 04:35:14 AM »
Yes, I might have been able to repair the old monitor, but... they emptied the dumpster this morning and it's gone. The monitor I linked above arrived the day before yesterday, it was on sale for a little more than the tv you linked. I didn't really want a bigger screen I just didn't want to lose resolution working with 18MP images from my camera.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with this monitor so far. I've got it set at 3840x2160. Vid card is an ASUS STRIX R9 380

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets