Author Topic: Interplay To Conduct IP Sale  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Interplay To Conduct IP Sale
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
In case anybody here hadn't heard...

Interplay has announced, quietly it seems as I didn't get word of it myself until well after the fact, that it is beginning the process of selling it's library of IPs and video game assets.

This apparently includes ALL of the games it has any sort of rights to...including Descent.

Haven't been able to dig up any more info on the matter beyond that, so if anybody else has any additional info, please share.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Interplay To Conduct IP Sale
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
I've known about this for a couple months.
Enough to know they're being ridiculous about it as usual, auctioning off the IPs in bundles so they can ask for higher prices, which as I understand it means it's unlikely they find any buyers.  Most of the people interested would be indie developers who mainly want one or two specific IPs they could revive, and who don't have a large budget to do it with.
Big studios and publishers probably won't care; if they've still got the stuff that made them big in the first place, why waste their time with franchises that have been dead for so long?  Most of these IPs don't even have a community this large around them, and we're not big enough for a major publisher to care about.

Fallout obviously notwithstanding, but it's not theirs anymore.  Once again Interplay fails to understand who their audience is.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 01:53:28 AM »
I bought it.  8)

Not really

Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »
I've known about this for a couple months.
Enough to know they're being ridiculous about it as usual, auctioning off the IPs in bundles so they can ask for higher prices, which as I understand it means it's unlikely they find any buyers.  Most of the people interested would be indie developers who mainly want one or two specific IPs they could revive, and who don't have a large budget to do it with.
Big studios and publishers probably won't care; if they've still got the stuff that made them big in the first place, why waste their time with franchises that have been dead for so long?  Most of these IPs don't even have a community this large around them, and we're not big enough for a major publisher to care about.

True, but considering their financial situation, I can understand why Interplay thinks its a good idea. They're trying to turn SOME kind of final profit out of it so to have made it all worth their while.

I'm more just relieved Interplay's relented and decided to do it. The writing has been on the wall that the end was near for them for awhile now, and I was more afraid that they were going to stubbornly take these IPs down with them. Instead, they're at least giving them a chance to go on to hopefully better owners that can give them a better home.

If I could, I would totally take the Descent IP off of them in a heartbeat, though. Even though I wouldn't be in much of a position to actually DO anything with it, so maybe it's for the better that I can't actually.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 07:15:37 PM »
Lol maybe not.  If you took the bundle you'd be in a better position to sell the IPs to somebody who could and would actually use them than Interplay is. ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets