Author Topic: Only a great fool...  (Read 5020 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Only a great fool...
« on: September 04, 2016, 04:38:33 PM »
Only a great fool...

Offline Ionized

• Silver
Re: Only a great fool...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:53:52 PM »
If I lived in the US, Canada would be looking good right about now.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 07:56:19 AM »
Trump certainly would not be my first choice, but he's not a lunatic. He might not be a great president, but the alternative is quite appalling. I will choose the unknown, in this case, over the known criminal...

http://madworldnews.com/hillary-white-house-valuables/?utm_source=wysija&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email

I would, however, urge anyone who has misgivings about Trump to research exactly what he has said that has the media in such a tizzy. If you read the actual quotes of what he has said that is reported as racist, misogynist, etc, you'll find that generally he is misquoted, out of context, etc. The 'mainstream' media has always leaned left, and this election cycle they are absolutely in the bag for Hillary. And don't get me wrong, he has said a few things that are unbecoming of a presidential candidate, but the bulk of what is reported as being what he said just isn't true.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:08:02 AM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »
I would, however, urge anyone who has misgivings about Trump to research exactly what he has said that has the media in such a tizzy. If you read the actual quotes of what he has said that is reported as racist, misogynist, etc, you'll find that generally he is misquoted, out of context, etc.

To be perfectly fair, Hillary's had the same problem. All the candidates have had that problem. Which says oodles about the present state of the country's media, but let's not open that can of worms.

I'm not particularly pleased with any of the candidates in this election, but I'll tell you now I'm certainly not voting for Trump.

But the rest of you vote for whomever you want. It is supposed to be a democracy, after all, and hopefully, whomever we Americans end up with as the next president will be inclined to let that continue.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 04:52:48 AM »
Democracy, no, it's supposed to be a Constitutional Republic. The founding fathers feared a democracy as much as they did a monarchy.

A Constitutional Republic is a state where the officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens. A Constitutional Republic is the current form of government in the United States.

As is often said, a democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner.  :o

Our system, however, has been corrupted by politicians who don't feel the need to govern by the rule of constitutional law anymore. The federal government has appointed itself vast powers that rightful belong to the states.

And, to be perfectly fair, Hillary has benefited greatly from the media's misrepresentation of her statements and actions... the deeper you dig into the facts, the worse the Clinton Crime Family looks.

And I would certainly never attempt to tell you who to vote for. I hold your opinion in high regard, I would only ask that you venture outside the left wing media sources and seek the truth.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:00:38 AM by -<WillyP>- »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 07:17:33 AM »
Ditto.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »
Growing up in the pre-internet era, I appreciate how the internet can be a powerful tool for researching and finding the truth, but am dismayed that so many voters base their opinions on memes posted on social media.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:29:08 PM by PyroJockey »
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 08:33:18 PM »
The problem with this kind of discussion is everybody wears their heart on their sleeve no matter how much they try to hide it, while everybody else chafes at it.  No matter how level a head you try to keep it rubs you raw around the edges.  I hope for everybody's sake that this thread is short.
I've noticed as an outsider that the media in your country leans either to the extreme left or the extreme right and all of it is biased.
A neutral source would be nice - but true neutrality doesn't exist, especially in politics.  So failing that, take the media as a whole with a grain of salt and use your own head. :)  You guys have all shown me you're smart people -- which is more than I can say for some others. :D  Honestly I'd rather see one of you as president than either of the big candidates. :P

So good luck.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 04:46:01 AM »
I can't speak for everybody, but I'm not offended by anyone's opinion. I appreciate and respect all opinions, even those I vehemently disagree with. Maybe sometimes. though, I don't come off that way...  :o

Though I must admit I was a little surprised that Scyphi agreed with me.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 09:26:10 AM »
Well, you made a fair enough of a point, that one should keep an open mind beyond whatever side they generally support and "seek the truth." Which is how I try to approach politics and would urge everybody to do as well, across the globe, regardless of nation, creed, or political party.

And anyway, I wasn't looking to start a fight. I abhor getting too involved politics for precisely that reason; it seems to only be good for starting fights these days and not much else. Actually, you were lucky to get me to comment on the matter at all; a lot of times I just try to stay out of it so to avoid any potential flamewars.

You know, it's actually kind of sad that we all latched onto criticizing the political side of the pic that started this thread so much so we've over looked the original reason Techpro posted it; he thought it was funny, worth a laugh, and thought people on all sides of the matter would get a laugh out of it too.

I suppose that must be why Foil hasn't commented on this matter yet, which mildly surprises me. It is referencing his favorite movie after all. ;D Though now that I think about it, I haven't seen him on PD in a little bit so he could also be busy with real life stuff...
Check out my deviantART

Offline Ionized

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 02:35:50 PM »
When politics gets mentioned on the internet it usually descends into personal insults, I'm glad that sort of thing doesn't happen here. Yeah people may have latched onto the political side of the pic but it never got nasty.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 05:39:47 PM »
Of course. I believe I am right, and that is because if I thought I was wrong, I would necessarily change my views. And logically, if I am right, and your opinion differs, well, it stands to reason that you are wrong.

However, I am always willing to entertain the possibility that I am the one who is wrong and you are right. Therefore you always have a chance of winning me to your point of view.

But I do not form conclusions lightly. I would prefer to say 'I don't know', than to confidently state 'x, y, and z', only to be proven wrong.

No amount of ad hominem attacks, name calling, or any other BS will convince me I am wrong. Show me facts and figures, in a respectful manner, and I am perfectly willing to admit I may have overlooked them. After considering these fact I just might change my opinion.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 10:42:26 PM »
I would hope I'm the same way. :P
Speaking for myself, I've been dragged into these fights before.  At the end of the day, though, I've gotten to know everybody here and I have too much respect for them -- and for myself -- to want to go through that or put them through it, no matter what my opinions are.
Besides, I know I don't have a vote in this election, I'd rather keep my dignity than be dragged out of the room screaming. :D

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets