Poll

Should I finish the Hyperspace single player missions I was working on?

Yes, finish them!
12 (92.3%)
Maybe, I'm not bothered
0 (0%)
Nah, it's not worth it anymore
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Should I finish it?  (Read 24419 times)

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
Should I finish it?
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:27:26 AM »
I've been debating with myself for years if I should finish any of my Descent 3 projects. The most notable of which is the single-player Hyperspace campaign I was working on. Originally conceived not long after Basewars (2006) it was intended to be a single player campaign that utilized assets from Basewars. The original campaign was going to have seven storyline missions - But about half way through the project I ditched the idea. Procrastination played a large part in that decision, but it was also due to being unsatisfied with the missions themselves and the general lack of interest. It just didn't quite work. But I had some fun with it.

I decided to re-write the campaign and compress it into 5 missions at a later date, but again that just idea went into limbo. As time went by it became more and more pointless as Descent 3 was all but dead. Even simple modding tools became nearly impossible to use once Windows 7 arrived. But the idea keeps popping up in my head every so often, simply because it's like a gnawing feeling of something left undone. And there are so many other projects I never finished (Omens, Ground Control, FLUX, Subterra - All Descent 3 levels/mods) but the problem is those projects were too big and fancy. Omens went from being a single level to a 4 level campaign set similar to the D3 main campaign. FLUX was a kind of D3X upgrade project. Subterra was a version of Command and Conquer set underground. Ground Control was basically Battlezone in Descent.  But none of those projects will ever see the light of day - it's too much work and it's kind of pointless at this late date to dig them up. But the Hyperspace project is still viable because A. The assets (objects, textures, etc) are mostly already built & B. Hyperspace missions aren't as time consuming to put together & C. There are at least *some* people left who remember it and wanted it.

So assuming I could get everything up and running again (editor, tools, scripting etc) would anyone be interested in seeing a finished campaign?
Is there anyone left who would actually play it?  :P 

Feel free to fire any questions at me regarding the above projects.
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Should I finish it?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 04:53:51 AM »
I, for one, would love to see it finished.

Sadly, though, I have to agree D3 is all but dead. I can't help but think that perhaps your talents and energy would be put to better use in Overload or Sol Contingency, if that's even possible.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 06:53:09 AM »
I, also for one, have been very pro for this project since the beginning, so my opinions about it would be rather bias. But since you've asked, yes, yes you should finish it.  ;D

But that being said, I can certainly understand your hesitation to do so. D3 certainly is no longer the center of the fanbase's attention anymore, and I agree looking into possibly doing the project for one of the upcoming games may be more worthwhile. WillyP mentioned Overload and SolC, and I would add DU in on that as it will support modding upon release as well (indeed, I think that engine-wise, DU might be the best option of that list).

But that being said, I think there's still players out there that would happily accept a new D3 mission to play, just like I know there are still players that happily accept new D1/D2 missions as well, so I certainly think there would still be people who'd play it.  :)

I really wish I could do something to pitch in to help with it's development, but I never really did have a good grasp on D3Edit and it's like tools.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »
Not only do I remember this, I occasionally think to myself, "I wonder if Hunter will ever finish that Hyperspace project?" :P I remember playing Basewars for a couple of hours when you were beta testing some years ago and had a freakin' blast. Probably moreso than any multiplayer game before or since. I would love to see the singleplayer project completed.

It wouldn't be much at all, but I'd be more than happy to toss a couple of US dollars your way in the form of a donation if only for motivational purposes.  ;)

All that said, though, I would understand why you would not want to complete the project if the audience is so small. D3 is something of a cult classic now, more so than D1 or D2 (I have friends that played 1 and 2 and never even knew a third existed). We're a pretty hungry fanbase, and (mostly) easy-to-please, as you surely well know. If you made it - or even just one or two missions, everyone here would love it. But if you don't, I think everyone also understands.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:03:52 AM by D2Disciple »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 07:04:56 PM »
I can't help but think that perhaps your talents and energy would be put to better use in Overload or Sol Contingency, if that's even possible.

I was definitely planning on doing some levels for Overload and possibly Underground. But we're still quite a way from a finished product with those games - The Underground map editor is still very limited. There is more than enough time to finish at least one more D3 project until then :)

@D2Disciple I still fire up Basewars from time to time. I don't know how I managed to build that thing in such a short time :P

Offline LightWolf

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 09:02:17 PM »
If you don't finish it, I will... I will... I will do something! ;)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »
I say yes -- I would love to play this and, more importantly, it sounds like it's what you want to do.
So who cares if you have a reason?
Whether or not somebody else plays it you still will never have their experience of it.  So do it for yourself.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:45:56 AM by Kaiaatzl »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 08:15:23 AM »
Hunter, since I don't really frequent on them and wouldn't know, have you inquired about this on other Descent forums? DBB and the forums for places like Overload and DU? It would help you get input from as much of the Descent fanbase as you could about how much interest there would be, and as much as I hate to admit it, PD's no longer really a flurry of activity here anymore.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »
That maybe so, but this is where Hyperspace started on the old PlanetDescent forums back in 2003. I don't really need to ask in those places, as those who remember Hyperspace are pretty much confined to these forums. Besides, this is more of a 'cult' following than a Descent fanbase thing. If the cult wants it, that's good enough for me. I can post it to the other forums if it's ever finished :P

I've already re-installed D3, D3EDIT, the SDK & looked through some content. Most tools seems to work fine, except for the OOFEditor. It's just a matter of getting that to work and then I'll get cracking.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 06:08:41 PM »
Good news! I got the OOF Editor working and I've re-written the original script for the campaign. I've downscaled the size of the missions and ret-conned a few ideas - that way it doesn't get too bogged down and time consuming. This ofcourse will mean that more than half of the new ships I already built for Silent Fury will not get used in this campaign. I'm going to need a little time to get familiar with D3EDIT again, but once I'm ready I'll try and push forward on this project... I hate to use the word 'deadline' but let's say October for a BETA.  I'll use weekends and some spare time in the evenings to get this done.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:10:30 PM by Hunter »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 06:48:58 AM »
Good news, indeed!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 03:21:19 PM »
Awesome! Looking forward to this! Nothing wrong with keeping it simple - heck, that's one reason we all love Descent, isn't it?  ;D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 09:37:16 PM »
Well it turns out D3EDIT is like riding a bike - it just comes back to you. Let's hope everything keeps going smoothly :)

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 10:54:42 PM »
Progress! 4 new models built for the campaign. Up next: Texturing those and then compiling an asset test hog.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »
awesome!

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets