Author Topic: Steam D1 not listing all custom levels in game  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Steam D1 not listing all custom levels in game
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:49:18 AM »
Steam may have yanked D1 from being sold on it's site, but since it's basically just vanilla D1 with GOG's DOSbox tacked on, it still runs fine despite that.

But anyway, I've been transferring over my list of favorite custom D1 levels (and I have quite a few of them) over to this Steam Descent, sticking them directly into the relevant D1 directory by basically copy and pasting that same list as it's stored in my D1 Rebirth's directory. That transfer seemed to go fine, and all the files made it into the directory, BUT when I start the game and go to select a level, only SOME of the levels actually show up in the list. The rest do not appear. What do appear all seem to function fine. Those that DON'T appear I can still pull up in Rebirth, and they still all play fine, so I don't think it's a problem with the files themselves.

I know, I could just play it in Rebirth then, but I've found I like playing D1 in it's original vanilla format, and want to try it for these custom levels too.

Basically, I'm at a loss as to why they aren't showing up. Anybody got any ideas?

The version of D1 seems to be 1.4a, which I understand is the best, up-to-date version of vanilla Descent available. Again, this is a DOSbox-run vanilla Descent.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline tueidj

• Silver
Re: Steam D1 not listing all custom levels in game
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 04:37:15 AM »
MAX_MISSIONS (the highest possible number of custom levels) is 200 in the original source code, does that match what you're seeing?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 09:07:44 AM »
I had thought there might be a file limit that I didn't know about, but I didn't think I had collected as many as 200+ custom missions. But I went through and got a count of all the MSN files in the directory, and sure enough, there's about 223.

Huh. I knew I had a lot, but I didn't think I had THAT many.

But anyway, I'll thin out the list a little and then try again, see if that fixes it.

What gets me about all of it, though, is the fact that what missions D1 DID list in-game from this 200+ selection seemed picked at random. In other words, if you list them all in alphabetical order, it was like D1 would pick a few, then skip a few, then start picking a few again. If it was a file limit issue, I would've thought it'd just stop wherever the list exceeded the file limit, not list files seemingly at random.

But oh well, if that's the problem, then that's the problem. I'll let ya know how it goes and if any other problems arise.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline tueidj

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »
The ones it did list would be whichever ones are stored first in the directory listing on the filesystem, which has no specific order - file entries are normally just added to the end (or inserted to fill gaps created when files are removed) since it's fastest rather than re-sorting to maintain alphabetical order.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 06:30:09 AM »
I still can't help but wonder if there might be other issues as well, because I've thinned the list now, should certainly be under the 200 limit, and yet there are still select missions that are missing from the in-game list. For example, my copy of Descent Vignettes isn't coming up in the list, but the file most certainly is in the directory.  ???

I'm still poking around with the files when I have the time, attempting to find the solution, or what it is I might be missing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:31:43 AM by Scyphi »
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets