Author Topic: D1 freeze @ level 7 boss  (Read 2982 times)

Offline tueidj

• Silver
D1 freeze @ level 7 boss
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:24:50 AM »
Has anyone ever experienced a freeze right after the level 7 boss explodes? I've found what seems to be a definite bug in the original code but can't find any reports of it affecting anyone...

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: D1 freeze @ level 7 boss
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:54:16 AM »
I remember this being a thing, though I've never experienced myself... What version of D1 are you running? Also, is this vanilla Descent in Dosbox, or with one of the source ports, such as D1X-Rebirth, D1X-Retro, or D2X-XL?

If your version of Descent is anything other than 1.4, I would try patching to that version. I'll see if I can dig up the link to that patch for you...

EDIT: Found a copy of the 1.4a patch on the DXX-Rebirth site (http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/download-misc/). Not sure why we don't have it here... One of these days I'm going to sit down and clean up and update the files tab.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:59:01 AM by D2Disciple »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline tueidj

• Silver
Re: D1 freeze @ level 7 boss
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 07:26:46 PM »
I am using my own port based on the source code from Parallax, which included the final patch. From looking at github it would seem the bug is still in Retro, current Rebirth (unified builds) and D2X-XL both use code from Descent 2 which includes a hacky workaround. The bug must be in the original dos version, I'm just surprised there doesn't seem to be any reports of it happening.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets