Author Topic: New gaming/multimedia laptop!  (Read 1827 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
New gaming/multimedia laptop!
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:23:13 PM »
Just came in yesterday... Jumped on a great deal from Newegg on a Dell Inspiron with a whopping Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB + 8GB SSHD, nVidia GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5, and a 1080p IPS display.

Good gaming PC for not a lot of scratch... Started with D:U, of course, and the results were pretty impressive: above 30 FPS at 1080p on ultra settings until a firefight broke out, but it runs 60+ with only occasional dips into the 30s during firefights on low-medium settings. Somehow, I get the impression that the ships and weapon effects severely affect performance, dropping FPS rates by about 20-30 when several of them appear on screen at once.

Moved to the Unreal Tournament (4) alpha, where performance was rock solid at 60+ FPS at 1080p on medium settings. Had to actually turn on VSYNC to prevent tearing from the high frame rates. Nice!

Finally I moved to Need for Speed Rivals, which I already played on the PS3 - which could barely handle the power. Even better news: with the Frostbite 3 engine in full tilt at 1080p, I was getting 30+ FPS. No lie - it looks positively awesome.

All in all, pretty happy with my purchase. Just hoping it turns out to be as reliable as my six-and-a-half-year old ASUS.  :D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: New gaming/multimedia laptop!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:46:59 PM »
Heh, funny coincidence, I just bought a new laptop myself that will be coming in the next few days thereabout, as the high-end card of my current laptop's duel video card set-up has died, or is dying, and while still currently works just fine for much of everything else, has basically crippled it as a gaming machine.

The plan is that the new laptop will not replace the old laptop per say, but more split the average workload between both of them by having one be used for one set of certain tasks while having the other be used for the rest.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: New gaming/multimedia laptop!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
Sounds like a very nice PC  ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets