Author Topic: Descent: Vintage Dreams  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Descent: Vintage Dreams
« on: November 18, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »
Check out my new SynthFont project, "Descent: Vintage Dreams" here:
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=40

A SynthFont Project using the "Vintage Dreams Waves v2.sf2" sound font. I took an opposite approach from previous past projects to when I made the original MIDIs try to sound more like real orchestral instruments. This time, using the Vintage Dreams Waves sound font, I try to return that vintage feel to the old MIDIs/OPL3s with this high quality synth-heavy sound font. It was challenging on some percussion-heavy songs because there aren't many percussion instruments to choose from.

And the banks were all screwed up; none of these songs were a straight translation to this sound font--I had to select the instruments by hand for each MIDI track because the bank to the Vintage Dreams Waves sound font wasn't numbered correctly. For example, a square in the original MIDI would've translated to some annoying off-key bell--so everything had to be reassigned by ear and by hand.

Also, MOST of the MIDIs that were shorter, under the 3:30 mark, got extended, but in a way that made it sound like the song had an extra verse. Game10 is no longer the longest song, now Game15 is. And for Game20, which was really short, I extended it from the beginning and gave it a lead-in progressing intro.

I hope you like my interpretation!

---

Just have a few uploaded for now, but I've completed up to Game21. I plan on uploading those later. More importantly, let me know if you can even access these songs because I used an old empty folder in my gallery that I previously locked and disabled and don't know if I unlocked and re-enabled it correctly. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:07:09 PM by Texace12 »
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Descent: Vintage Dreams
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »
Hmm. Kind of have an 80s electronica vibe to 'em.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »
Yusss.... sort of what I was going for. Also, glad you can access it. That answers my question.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 05:58:16 PM »
Noticed you uploaded a few more, including two big favorites (7 and 8 ), so listened some more.

So-so about seven.

But liked eight enough to download. :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:00:00 PM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 06:23:53 PM »
Dang! Yeah I love 8 but it's too short. It needed that extra section and "wind-down". My Internet's been very spotty lately, but I've got up to 21 finished. The D2 songs are gonna be hell, especially level 2 because sometimes there's 4 or 5 instruments per track.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 11:50:45 AM »
Level 8 is great!
I loved the end result with the Vintage Dreams soundfont, it sounds simply perfect!
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 12:00:13 PM »
Thanks, Pumo, I'm glad you liked it!  ;D

10-14 has been uploaded. I also re-uploaded 01 because I didn't like the higher pitched spudge bass as the song progressed. Slight modifications.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 01:33:37 PM »
15-17 uploaded, and I finally finished #22... now, I haven't decided where to go from here... What do y'all think I should do next:

A. Make one more remake of Game01-05 as "Game23-Game27" so there's exactly the same number of D1 songs as levels and then make 6 versions of D2 Game01, Game02, Game03, & Game04 and edit the D2 ones according to the landscape of the system you're in (lava, water, mountains, etc.)

-or-

B. Continue on to D2 Game01 thru Game04, one version each, and then do the menus and briefings and be done with it?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 07:12:38 PM »
Depends how much you're enjoying it.
Something tells me you want to go for choice #1, so go ahead.

It doesn't matter who else likes it.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
Yeah, I think I'll partially do Choice #1, but only halfway. What I'll do is finish the D1 stuff and come back to the D2 stuff at a much later time. I'm poised to move out in a couple of months, and I want to digitize my 850 CD collection before then (Only on #85 of 850).

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets