Author Topic: Infinity: Battlescape  (Read 2355 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: Infinity: Battlescape
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:36:02 AM »
Looks cool, but I'm not entirely convinced... Multiplayer in a gigantic, procedurally-generated "to scale" solar system sounds a lot like it could lend itself to jumping into a server and flying around for 6 hours before actually finding something to do.
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 05:56:05 PM »
The developers explicitly state in the video that they intend to avoid exactly that, so there's that. But I have my own doubts about whether they'll succeed too.

That said, I confess I wasn't really that impressed, largely because it doesn't really offer much of anything I haven't already seen before. Even the full scale procedural generated worlds are one-upped by No Man's Sky, which I feel takes it a step much further than this does. Maybe if it had reached this point a year sooner...oh well.

Plus it's yet another sci-fi MMO. Well, ok, it's got an offline singleplayer mode planned, but it's still first and foremost meant to be largely an MMO, just like all the other games of it's same type and style on the market. Personally, I'd rather see this same sort of mechanics and graphical rendering applied to a more purely singleplayer game, with a story and a point beyond "get the most stuff and win." Imagine this same sort of thing applied to the classic Descent mechanic, for example. I think there's something to that idea, but I'm in no real position to make it happen, sadly.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »
Everytime I see one of these projects I keep wishing I'd find the interest/energy to finish those Hyperspace single player levels from years ago  :P
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 05:26:51 PM »
Now that I'd be interested in.  ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets