Author Topic: The release of Sol Contingency is imminent!  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Yoshimitsu

• Silver
The release of Sol Contingency is imminent!
« on: November 03, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »
Hey folks!Do you all remember Sol Contingency, that promising Unreal 3 recreation of Descent that Interplay tried to shut down? Well it turns out that they failed to kill it and now (as a brand new IP) it's about to launch its initial closed beta, soon to be followed by an open beta and full release later this month. The current iteration is a fully functional multiplayer game that will be released for free in order to promote an upcoming Kickstarter campaign with the aim to create a larger singleplayer game and expanded multiplayer in Unreal 4.

They have a new gameplay trailer up on their website and it looks really sweet!
http://preparefordescent.com/

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: The release of Sol Contingency is imminent!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 05:16:56 PM »
I worry it might be a little graphically flashy needlessly, but it otherwise looks wickedly cool. It already feels like Descent, and I am one hundred percent confident that I could just jump into that game running without having to pause. Can't quite say the same for DU, but at this point, I want both to succeed, and to succeed very, very, well. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Yoshimitsu

• Silver
Re: The release of Sol Contingency is imminent!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 05:24:45 PM »
Me too Scyphi. I've been playing D:U's pre-alpha since day 1 last month and while it definitely has a way to go, I think it's on the right track. SolC on the other hand I got to test at the end of August and it felt wonderful. All of my Descent reflexes translated and I felt at home in seconds. I personally like the flashy graphics but obviously everyone will feel differently. I will say though that even with all of the flash (or maybe because of it) I had a much easier time telling what was going on and who was where in SolC than in D:U. And SolC has big fat round hitboxes :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets