Author Topic: D:U performance  (Read 3826 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
D:U performance
« on: October 31, 2015, 06:40:00 AM »
Let's start a thread calling out specs of your machine, and performance of D:U. For those that have played the early release pre alpha whatever it is... ;)

Post up your hardware and impressions of how well the game played on your machine.

Mine:
AMD FX-6300 max of 4.1ghz
GeForce GTX550 Ti (2gb)
16Gb ram
Broadband connection (wired)
Using mouse and keyboard.

D:U played quite well, though I did experience some very slight, barely perceptible stutter.

Edit: played again today, and the game stuttered quite noticeably.  >:(

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:29:21 PM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: D:U performance
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 06:46:47 AM »
My system is running an  Intel Core i5 CPU with a AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 graphics card (for gaming) on Windows 10, 64-bit. This is apparently just under DU's minimum specs, so yes, there's considerable lag. HOWEVER, when you turn the settings down as low as they'll go and keep it in windowed view, then it's just barely playable and yet still looks wonderful, and I'm satisfied enough with that for the time being. A system upgrade will probably be necessary in the near future, though.

Haven't had the chance to play it since early access hit Steam, though...still running the pre-alpha/beta set-up so things might have changed slightly since then. The game's specs are still very much in flux, so it can vary exactly on when you play it and what it's running on that particular version (might be why you got more lag 2nd time around rather than the first, WillyP, but that's speculation on my part).

Also doesn't help that my laptop's a duel graphics card system, but has recently (as in making the jump to Windows 10 recent) apparently forgotten this and could very well be trying to run the game with the wrong card (the built in Intel HD card rather than the AMD Radeon like it's supposed to), which is another reason why I haven't been doing much of any gaming lately, as I work with Techpro to try and get it sorted out.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 10:53:55 PM »
<de-lurk> 8)
Intel core i7 5700HQ (2.7GHz, goes up to 3.5GHz)
GeForce GTX 960M (2GB)
12GB RAM
Keyboard

Haven't actually played online, so I'm omitting connection spec. I've done test flight and vs bots, and both run smoothly. The game does cause the system's hybrid power feature to activate (though I think this is because of a possibly uncapped framerate, as I see no performance drop if I pull the plug) and drain the battery at a somewhat slow pace.

Also doesn't help that my laptop's a duel graphics card system, but has recently (as in making the jump to Windows 10 recent) apparently forgotten this and could very well be trying to run the game with the wrong card (the built in Intel HD card rather than the AMD Radeon like it's supposed to), which is another reason why I haven't been doing much of any gaming lately, as I work with Techpro to try and get it sorted out.

My system defaulted to the Intel card at first, but I was able to use the NVIDIA Control Panel to force everything to run on the proper card. Check to see if something similar exists on your system (I'm using Windows 10, but the machine was shipped with it, not as an upgrade).

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 03:16:10 PM »
I believe it does, but I haven't really played with it for fear I might mess things up further. What I really should do is have Techpro sit down with me and look through it, as being the techie, he'd be able to keep me on the straight and narrow of technology and not mess something up.  :P

I also fear that it might just be a case of the system being built for Windows 7 originally, and even though 10 is still something of a close cousin, I worry the system's going to be more quirky now forever after making that jump to 10 (and after so many years of me having no complaints about it's functionality save for a tendency to overheat).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 09:37:30 PM »
Dell XPS L702X notebook
Intel Core i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
8.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Adapter 3 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1

My graphics card is below the minimum recommendation for DU, but using the lowest graphics setting I get a playable game with frame rates between 55 and 105, usually in the 60's.

I basically turned every graphic option to OFF and enabled SIMPLE DYNAMIC LIGHTING. I am running with an in game resolution of 640X480. It sounds horrible but it actually looks much better that I ever would have expected.

HOWEVER, when you turn the settings down as low as they'll go and keep it in windowed view, then it's just barely playable and yet still looks wonderful, and I'm satisfied enough with that for the time being.

I found that running using the EXCLUSIVE FULLSCREEN option almost doubles my frame rate.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 06:36:42 AM by PyroJockey »
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 05:03:19 PM »
I had the opposite result; full screen added to the lag, otherwise I most certainly would be playing it in full screen. I generally don't do games in windowed view.  ::)

Speaking of, I haven't taken the time to play DU in awhile...note to self...
Check out my deviantART

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
What are your windows and in game resolutions?
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 05:01:35 PM »
Just bought into the Steam early access (finally). I never backed on KS because... Well, it was one day away from closing when I found out about it, and I didn't have a computer to run it. So... I did what any logical, rational Descent player would do and completely overhaul my system to meet Unreal 4 requirements prior to buying early access.  :P

Current setup:

AMD Athlon X4 860k Quad-core processor (basically an A10-7850k minus the Radeon graphics cores)
Corsair 8GB DDR3 2400MHz RAM
Powercolor Radeon R7 250 1GB GDDR5 video card
Mouse/Keyboard/Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold flight stick

The Radeon R7 250 was a refurbished card bought as a stopgap measure until I could really blow the doors off this budget build. I believe an EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 950 Ti will be my Christmas present to myself this year.  ;)

I'll let you guys know performance when the game actually finishes downloading...

[SniperDisciple - Amazing that I've been waiting for fifteen years for this moment, and now I want to put a fist through my monitor waiting for a 2GB download...  >:(]
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 05:04:50 PM »
What are your windows and in game resolutions?

I don't remember off hand what screen resolution I've got it at at the moment and I haven't fiddled with it recently...I'll have to check, but I do know it's higher than 640x480. You saying try turning down the resolution some more? Well, I'm loathe to do so, but I guess if it means better performance, I don't really have a good excuse not to...
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 07:32:19 PM »
It's playable at 800x600, full-screen, with all advanced detail settings turned off or to their lowest setting.

Still looks surprisingly good, even if the text is absurdly grainy.
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 10:19:19 PM »
I had the opposite result; full screen added to the lag, otherwise I most certainly would be playing it in full screen. I generally don't do games in windowed view.  ::)

Speaking of, I haven't taken the time to play DU in awhile...note to self...

I'm the opposite in this regard, I guess. I despise full screen, mostly because I'm doing a million other things at once in the background.

Just bought into the Steam early access (finally). I never backed on KS because... Well, it was one day away from closing when I found out about it, and I didn't have a computer to run it. So... I did what any logical, rational Descent player would do and completely overhaul my system to meet Unreal 4 requirements prior to buying early access.  :P

I got lucky in this regard. I actually bought this computer at the end of September to replace an ailing laptop that could no longer charge (AC adapter broke, and finding a replacement proved to require more effort than I wanted to put forward), and the backup system was even weaker (1.4GHz turbo boost to 2.2GHz (though it rarely ever seemed to go up that high), Radeon 65xx). So I shelled out for this laptop, and ended up hearing about D:U a few weeks later from a FB friend (who'd backed on Kickstarter, but was unable to play because his computer was pretty much falling apart, and his wife's computer wasn't in much better shape).

[SniperDisciple - Amazing that I've been waiting for fifteen years for this moment, and now I want to put a fist through my monitor waiting for a 2GB download...  >:(]

Ah, this takes me back to downloading the D3 demo over a 56Krap connection :P.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets