Author Topic: Retrovirus  (Read 4505 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Retrovirus
« on: July 03, 2015, 07:10:11 PM »
Anyone still playing Retrovirus? I got as far as this room and there seems to be something missing, or maybe I collected it and don't know how to use it. Wayfinder keeps directing me back into the room, inside the room, wayfinder just stops in the middle of the room.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: Retrovirus
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:51:38 PM »
I can't identify the area just by looking at it, but I think I know where you are based on the objectives. IIRC that's a pretty labyrinthine area of the game, if it's directing you back to a room it's possible you've missed a key or a new weapon... I think that's the vault with a three-key hunt to get the bonus objective, kind of a throwback to Descent.

Sorry I can't tell you exactly where to go from here; not really enough info from the screenshot to tell exactly where you are.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:03:48 PM by D2Disciple »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 04:51:28 PM »
Yeah, I think it's possible to find the level exit from there and the wayfinder is trying and failing to point you at a bonus objective.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »
Yeah, just don't follow that waypoint guidance system and look around for a way out, you should get there. Its been flaky for me a couple of times.

Slightly off subject, but how do you like Retrovirus, WP?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »
It's ok... There are some things I like about it, but I don't feel the rush like I did for D1 back in the day. I'm not sure if that because D1 was so awesome, or maybe just because D1 was so new and different, and I've gotten used to games.

Back in the day, I just couldn't wait to get home and jump in the mines. I can't say that the lack of that feeling is due to Retrovirus being anything less than Descent was, I think it's more me. Descent was so novel back then, there just wasn't anything like it, at least as far as I knew.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 06:44:23 PM »
Although I must say, the more I play it, the more I like it.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
If I recall correctly, you'll get the "check" for that part of the level once you find your way through, but it's not immediately obvious where you're supposed to go.  Seems like there's an out-of-the-way door or something, but I don't remember it very well.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »
Hmm. Well the next time I played, way-finder didn't lead me to that room, so maybe it was just a little stuck.

Now I'm working my way through the subway, and not lovin' it.  >:(

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »
That particular area is ripped straight from D3 level 4, right down to the very aesthetic of It, but I quite enjoyed it. There were a couple of difficulty spikes throughout, particularly in areas with lots of enemies, little cover, and trains cruising threateningly behind you. I died a little more frequently there than I have so far elsewhere; still nothing like the harder Descent mines, IMHO.  ;)

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 08:19:41 AM »
Ah, yes, that section.  I certainly remember it being somewhat tough, and being a little frustrated that I couldn't just "run 'n gun" like I enjoy doing. 

Keep going, though.  There's some good stuff ahead.  :)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:24:20 PM »
Finally made it through the trains section last night. Next section has trains also, but you are supposed to use them as a shield to travel through a section spewing heat at you. There's a switch you have to find, that makes them move, and you fly alongside. I couldn't find one of the switches, so just flew through the heat, and made it through with low health. Made it to the checkpoint, and died. But that means next time I play I'll be at the checkpoint.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:28:16 PM by -<WillyP>- »

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »
I remember trying that, but I never made it to the checkpoint.  I ended up just going back to the switch to get the train to move.  :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets