Author Topic: Olympia Gold : Mobile? (Video Game Survey)  (Read 8509 times)

Offline deathwinger

• Bronze
Olympia Gold : Mobile? (Video Game Survey)
« on: June 21, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »
Hey Guys,

I was looking at some old Descent 3 videos on YouTube and I stumbled across the link for the Descent Underground project. I had no idea that there was a group of like minded individuals working on a full fledged game that is going to be exactly like Descent except with an appeal for a new and older generation of gamers.

I'm also extremely pleased by the response the project has had. Never did I think so many people were interested in seeing the revival of Descent and far less supporting via crowdfunding. It really made me see there was still life with 6DoF.

Back in the days of Descent I used to do some level design and mod development, one of which was Olympia Gold. A racing mod that people seemed to enjoy when we released the third edition for Descent 3.

As time has passed, I've gone into other media development (films and advertising). I've always wanted to revive my own projects from long before, but I was never sure of the interest.

However, I would like to bring back Olympia Gold, perhaps not right now as a full fledged PC game (like the amazing work these guys are doing for Descent Underground) but more so as a mobile video game, one that would introduce players to the concept of it and hopefully to the 6DoF style gameplay.

I've created a survey and I'd like to get some feedback and research from as many people as possible who may share this interest. If I get enough positive feedback, I will proceed have this game produced and keep alive the 6DoF video game movement in my own way.

Here is the link to the survey http://kwiksurveys.com/s/BwdDpp2S

Much appreciated people and I look forward to your responses.  :D

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Olympia Gold : Mobile? (Video Game Survey)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »
I completed your survey, except the question about how much would you pay. I think the answer to that6 depends on whether or not you can convince me the game is any good, or how good.

But even for free, I have no interest whatsoever in any game that isn't on PC.

Then again, I've never played Olympia Gold against other players, in fact I didn't think an actual working game had ever been released.

Oh, and... Welcome to Planet Descent!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »
Unfortunately my phone right now is a blackberry and; and not many games support that OS.
I'd be interested if I still had my old android phone that got stolen.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »
Welcome to Planet Descent, DeathWinger!

Never played Olympia Gold, but now I'm curious as I am also a big racing game fan in addition to a huge 6DOF fan.

I took the survey, and like WillyP said, the price question is a bit hard to answer. I selected 5 USD, because I feel like that's a very fair price for a mobile game. However, I also think it shouldn't be ad-supported in addition to the price, nor should it carry IAPs that give the buyer a gameplay advantage. Purchases that include more levels or game modes or non-gameplay-related upgrades (skins, themes, etc.) are totally cool, so long as the core purchase contains a full game experience and doesn't feel like a stripped-down demo that requires more purchases to feel like a full experience.

I'm willing to spend more though just to see how you manage to translate a 6DOF experience onto a platform with few (or no) physical buttons.   ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
If you're in need of a music composer you can always ask this one. ;)
Even if I can't play the game I'd certainly not mind working on it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »
Don't have a mobile device that would support a game like that that's smaller than a laptop, so that rules me out.

That said, I do like the idea. Unlike others, I was familiar with Olympia Gold...though I never could get the thing to actually work right so to actually do a race...but I did play through the levels built for it, got a feel for how it would've worked. It's an awesome idea, but I always thought the Descent engine was oddly insufficient as it wasn't really built with racing in mind. Needed more speed. MUCH more speed. And less precision in the controls. In Descent, you can stop and turn on a dime which actually robs some of the challenge of racing. And obviously the weapons and combat would need to be tweaked accordingly for all of that, but that goes without saying.

So actually, building Olympia Gold as it's own game would be great, as it'd give it the chance to start from scratch and have an engine fitted for it...rather than take another engine and try and make it fit to the idea. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »
I "might" have heard of it a long time ago.

I too had a thing about pricing for mobile games. I rarely play games on the phone. if I do, it's something where I can take my time. My problems with it is:

1. I like physical buttons that I can press.
2. I don't want to get a call midway into a game
3. Ads. I don't even like the ones on the bottom or top of the screen.
4. I want to see the screen, the actual game and not have my hands taking up a portion of it.

Offline deathwinger

• Bronze
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »
Hey All,

Thanks for all the comments and taking the time to fill out the poll. It has given me a lot of insight into the development going forward with the game.

Kaiaatzl, I would definitely take you up on that offer. I have a affiliated composer I usually work with, but I'm always enthused to work with new talent. I'll send you a PM with my contact details and we can take it from there.

Scyphi, I agree with you developing from scratch, which is why I am thinking going with the mobile edition first to raise capital that can go towards a full fledged PC game. Descent was a good starting platform for the game, but I am currently exploring the Unreal Engine 4 engine for both the mobile edition and the full fledged game. Hopefully, once I source a design team to work with, they can assist on this journey of not only developing the game, but sharing insight into what can work in the realm of 6DoF in a mobile game. It will be challenge, and I have some options in the event that style does not translate into a fulfilling gaming experience (which is most important to me for this).

Once there are any major updates going forward, I shall announce it on the main interest groups (which seem to be Descent forums). Let's hope the game brings more interest to the 6DoF market :)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:26:07 PM »
I've sent you an email, the name will show up as "wazzazzle", which is an old holdover of mine I don't really use anymore except on the email that's been my main email for years.  I have nothing against working with another composer, especially on a racer because with racing games, it's often a case of the more variety the better since you usually have all the game's songs potentially playing right from the beginning.  I'd be very interested to meet your composer at the very least (although I probably can't physically go and see him, so online will have to do :P).

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 08:21:37 AM »
Well this has the potential to be a very interesting project. Does anybody remember an old game called Slipstream 5000?

Slipstream 5000 ● GOG.com

Oh and then there was POD, the story behind POD was that there were only so much room on the ship to escape the planet, so they held a race and only the winners would get on the ship, everyone else would be left on the planet to perish. I forget why we had to abandon the planet, but my son says it was because of lava.

POD Gold ● GOG.com

Both were very fun games in their day. I think one of them came as a freebie with a joystick, and the other with a computer.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:23:23 AM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 08:52:07 PM »
I miss Ultrabots. but that's not a racing game.

I remember:

Pole Position (Atari 5200)
R.C. Racing (Nintendo)
Super Sprint (Nintendo)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets