Author Topic: Up-Goer Five  (Read 4113 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Up-Goer Five
« on: June 08, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »
Very funny. First look at this picture you can find by looking down. It tells about the Up-Goer Five using only ten hundred of the most used words. After you look at this picture here and make some words of your own, using only ten hundred of the most used words. Put your words in the box you find here: The Up-Goer Five Text Editor to see if they are the some of the ten hundred most used words. Words there will tell you if you have used words that are not in the ten hundred most used words. You can tell about a movie, your dinner, the box that shows you pictures and words, or your two round part road goer ride thing. When you are done there, come back here to share in a reply here.

Also: New book: Thing Explainer | xkcd
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: Up-Goer Five
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:20:18 PM »
Boom! Done for our favorite game :)

Boy, I'm glad they allowed the conjugations of verbs... Otherwise, this would be even harder.

Six ways to move game is a game about moving in small, close spaces and killing not-human things that try to kill you. The not-human things try to stop you from killing the box-thing that keeps everything running in the small, close spaces. You have to kill that box-thing and escape before time runs out and it kills you with fire. You do this with death-making things that are sometimes fast and hurt the not-human things a little and that are sometimes slow and hurt the not-human things a lot. You can turn up and down, left and right, turn around both ways, and move up, down, left, and right, forward, and back. That's why it's a six ways to move game. Get ready to go down, person!
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »
Having a bachelor's in English and being an aspiring writer, I suspect I will not be very proficient at this game.

...case and point.  :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »
...it's "case in point" Scyphi. ::)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 05:34:39 AM »
Well, that's embarrassing then. :P

To be fair, though, I've heard it said both ways, so not my fault I keep getting which phrase is the proper one mixed up.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 06:27:43 AM »
Yeah, like people who say "Shouldn't of".
It will probably become part of future english and future generations will be like, how the hell did that happen.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 03:50:41 PM »
With some thought one can write thoughts using only the ten hundred most used words. I have used only the ten hundred most used words to write my thoughts on this word seeing box. It is not too hard, but not very easy. Please try to use only the ten hundred most used words. Except for person names, and a few others, of course. Other than that, I agree.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 04:27:06 PM »
Yeah, like people who say "Shouldn't of".
It will probably become part of future english and future generations will be like, how the hell did that happen.

That's not a can of worms you want to open with me; you'll never hear the end of it. Remember: bachelor's in English and all, me. ;)

Okay, so let's try this game properly now...

I really think that I will not do well at this game. This game sort of goes against the things I've learned about words. But then again, words are funny things. Always changing. Very much able to be used in a whole number of ways. And I'm actually doing better at this than I thought. Surprise, surprise.  :o
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets